Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

Aggression =(

Home Forums Training Aggression =(

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Timothy Nations 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

LovelyHoney
    Participant

Nala hasnt shown aggression towards any other animal or person, but towards Ember(her sister) she shows a lot of aggression. She is really dominant over her bones, and toys. Also whenever we go to the dog park all she does is jump and bite Ember. I dont know what else to do, have given Ember the older one everything first, wait for Nala to calm down before she get anything they both get equal attention, fed at the same time; seperate parts of the room, I always test and grab at her food or bone so she doesnt show aggression towards people….Ember gets fed up at times and it starts a brawl but it last for 2 seconds because they both snap out of it but im scared that it will escalade. Im thinking it has something to do with Ember attacking Nala when she was a puppy but im not sure….[ATTACH=CONFIG]4081[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]4082[/ATTACH]

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

I can’t help you with the aggressive behavior but maybe someone else can be of help with your problem. Looking at the picture it sure looks like they like each other.

I.Heart.My.Golden
    Participant

Many vet, trainers, dog people in general have often said to me it’s much harder having the same sex’s living together, than opposite. To me, if seems like there is constant battle for “top dog” – you may just have two alpha females. You fear it may get worse, and I hate to say this, but I’m think it quite possibly will. I would recommend getting professional help, like a behaviorist that can come into your home, and see exactly what is happening. I’m no doggie expert, but I work at a socialized boarding kennel (the dogs go out together, and play socially), you get to know the different types of breeds, how they play, how they act, and I’ll tell you honestly we always watch the husky’s, or husky type breeds every single second, we cannot trust them, they are very dominant, prey driven, and when we have squabbles they are often the one who instigate it. Every breed has it’s pro’s and con’s – Golden’s tend to be more laid back in any situation (not the case in this issue), but at the end of the day, Dogs are dogs! and Stuff like this does happen 🙁 Hope you can resolve it, and get to the root of the problem. Have you ever thought of rehoming one of the girls in case this doesn’t work out?

cheslyn1
    Participant

It is very hard to say without a least a video. What are the dog’s ages again? I am thinking Ember is just telling the bratty Nala off…it is usually loud with lots of teeth (I know this because I know the 2 breeds 🙂 ). But you should always notice after that neither dog is even wet – teeth do not connect with anything.
    I am in the let the dogs figure it out camp for most things and always apply management in all times. But if this is escalating (longer, more often) I would seek help.

At the dog park – does Ember mind? I always do a little check…I hold Harley and if Maci takes off, he then has to stay with me (play with me or if he is being stubborn on leash). If Maci stays and looks at me like WTF?? I let them be.

Sue
    Participant

I don’t think it matters on the sex of the dog as I have always has male/female combinations and the females have always been the dominate dog. I think it if your not careful you will have an all out dog fight on your hands. My past 2 dogs had an all out fight over a bone and it ended up that I had to get the broom out to break it up and the broom didn’t come out in one piece. It was nasty and there was blood. I wouldn’t agree that the husky is always the instigator in the situation as it depends on the dog and I have had a golden in the past that caused a few rumbles himself.

You should be the Alpha in your pack and make sure that Nala knows that. Dogs live in a pack and there is always going to be one dog that is the leader over the other dogs. I’d be very careful with bones and if they can’t have bones around without agression then I would not be having bones around.

My first golden was top dog when he and my husky cross were under a year old and he would always steal her food and take her stuff then one day she flipped out on him and the dominant heirarchy changed forever.

I.Heart.My.Golden
    Participant

Sorry Sue, you are right, I reread my post and it didn’t come out as how I intended. The comments about husky’s as a breed is just an overall statement from my observation over the years, there are always (good and bad) exceptions of the breed. I really think Nala is trying to change the pack dynamic between her and Ember, she is going to test, and challenge Ember any chance she gets to become top dog (between them). When Nala has these outbursts what is done? is she reprimanded? Like I said earlier, you should really get a behaviorist in there so she can see first hand exactly what is going on, there are many cues in dog behavior we just simply miss (like a glare here, lip twitch there, stare, etc).

cheslyn1
    Participant

Oh you are here in Calgary…if you want some recommendations for help – let me know.

If the dogs are young – it could be bratty teenager phase that just needs some adjustments. But I think outsider’s opinion will do wonders to help you learn to read the dogs.

LovelyHoney
    Participant

Yes Nala is reprimanded, same with Ember depending who starts it. I will grab them and put them on the ground so they become submissive with me. Especially at the dog park I will call Nala to my side if she keeps grabbing onto Ember. Theres never drool or anything liek that on either dogs, or teeth stuck or hitting. There not like it always just mostly at the dog park, when i let them outside or if theres a bone. Most of the time its just when Ember tries to take off Nala wants to bring her back, but I try to distract Nala by playing fetch. Also ive noticed Nala even around other dogs, especially when she wants a bone or has one she gets very pissy, and when i see it or hear it i immediatly take the bone away adn she gets nothing because i dont approve of the behaviour. Also ive watched a lot of casaer Millans shows and have learnt a lot of tricks to curbing it. And i havent thought at all about rehoming one. The husky is my boyfriends and the Golden is mine and both of us have very strong relationships with not only our own dogs but each others. I could never imagine not having one of them here and I know my boyfriend couldnt either.

LovelyHoney
    Participant

Well maybe if you want we can go to the dog park togther or something and you can see it for yourself….Maybe ways to curb the behaviour.

cheslyn1
    Participant

If it was warm out we could LOL. I do not go to the public dog parks normally because Harley is not fixed yet – not worth the hassle.

I do not follow CM, like some stuff but do not like the pinning of dogs at all. Possiblility of being bite is so high…never mind that I never seen anyone that can do it will out emotion being involved – it is hard to do, we are human 🙂 . And I do believe the dogs feed off of our emotions and actions. If I ever pinned Maci during our ‘who owns the bed’ battles I would have been bit. She is the poster child for a dog giving every warning she can that she is serious and will bite.

My other question/comment not just to you but anyone—why do people expect dogs to be nice over bones? I have had 2 families contact me about dog fights over bones, etc this past month. Everyone does a wonderful job feeding the dogs separately (okay for the most part because the dogs are eating different food and they want to make sure both dogs eat) and never have any problems but then seem to think every dog is going to want to share their bone like they are interactive toys? I really wanted to make a sign ‘dog think bones are food people!’. I never have, with any breed, fed the dogs their bones with out having them in their own space – kennels (needed with my husky), separate rooms or just separate mats. Maci is not allowed to go over to Harley’s mat when they have a bone. But then I never ever have just 1 bone out. They are chewing bones or they are put away. I never take them away while the dogs are chewing them…I know people say you need to practice this but I just do not get the reason why. Because I never take them away, I have never been growled at being by them when they are chewing. Children around – the dogs are outside or in their kennel, or not even given a bone then!!!?? Maci has a wonderful give with everything else even her tug toys but there is nothing in the world I can give her that would be high value to trade for a bone…so how would a person train? I guess you start really young…but I do not like give those big super valued raw bones to a pup.

Sorry really random..kind of ranting. Super duper really just my opinion.:suspicion:

I.Heart.My.Golden
    Participant

You’re totally right on a lot of things Tammy, I really do think people put insane expectations on their dogs, when it comes to sharing, bones, and even the tolerance of children, really makes me cringe sometimes. What I’ve done with both Otis, and Wilma – I’ve always taught the “Out” command, everything I ever given them, I always wait until they’re into the treat/bone and then ask them to OUT, as soon as they give it to me, I give them TONS of praise and give it right back to them. I’ve always done this, and I think they know they’re getting it right back. My biggest fear is if they got ahold of something, like a dead animal, the wrong bone etc, that their health may be compromised by it, and I do NOT want to get bit while trying to take it away. I’ve even tried this with our raw marrow bones I give them once in a blue moon, luckily neither of them have challenged me, but I think they know they are getting it right back they are very willing to give me whatever I want! You also definitely have to do it a certain way, I never grab what they have and pull it out of their mouth, they have to actually drop it in my hand/or ground. It’s really saved my butt both with Otis and Wilma, say you drop a pill or something on the ground, Wilma would probably pick that up to eat it in a second, she doesn’t think… only eats, but with that command she drops it immediately. Anyways I’m rambling on, I think if you weren’t comfortable doing that, separating, and having them in their crates is a great way to keep them safe, but also reinforce how wonderful the crate is! You have to do what works for YOU and your comfort level – no if’s and’s or buts!

Timothy Nations
    Participant

Hey ! I had a Same Problem with my Golden Retriever….& there are actually many reasons behind it. I found some useful tips on https://igoldenretriever.com/reasons-golden-retriever-aggression/

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active