Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

Blood donors needed.

Home Forums Health Blood donors needed.

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  gpbarr1 5 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Pat
    Participant

Not sure if this will work, as I’m not sure how to make a clip work. CABB in Edmonton badly need blood donors, if you know of anyone who’s dog would make a good donor in the area, plaese ask them to consider helping others. The story is on CTV edomton if this doesn’t work. Most of you know my two have been donating for years and a few others here as well. Some of you have had your dogs benefit from blood donatioins as well.
    http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Signing Kiwi up is still on my list of things to do.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

When we went to the vet for her heartworm meds last week I inquired about being a blood donor. They weighed her and she’s 57 lbs so she qualifies that way. The vet tech then said “she needs to be able to lie still for about 5 minutes while they take the blood”. Hmmm I thought maybe we’ll have to wait a bit longer since Kiwi is still very excitable, hence, I think the vet techs comment since Kiwi was so excited while she was there and wanted to go visit with all the staff:witless:

Pat
    Participant

Give her a few more months, think Carmel was almost two when she started and was really hyper, but liked all the attention, cause they get lots of it, practice having her lie on her right side and hold her muzzle gently a minute at a time, with her head stretched out, till she can lie for 5 minutes….they do restrain the legs…meaning someone holds them while you hold the muzzle steady while the blood is being drawn.

For any of our Ontario goldens….CABB will be holding a Mobile clinic June 15th in the GTA at the CTVRC….Central Toronto Veterinary Referral Clinic…if anyone is interested, let me know and I’ll give you the number to call for more info and to register. Check the link in my first post for the qualifications….

Sadly my Vet wants Carmel to stop after her eighth birthday in Oct, I’m going to try and get to her 20th donation if things are fine, she will be doing her 18th in June or July. After they turn eight, you need your Vet’s OK to continue.

Lynne
    Participant

They just ran a story this morning on Global news about donating blood and they showed how the dogs have to lie still. I’m not sure that Rylee could do that yet either…maybe we’ll let Kiwi go first and see how she makes out 😀

Congrats to Carmel – that’s quite an accomplishment already!!!

Pat
    Participant

Been lots of stories about dogs donating blood this past few weeks….Last night on Focus Manitoba they ran a story again…and interviewed one of Ken’s co-workers wife..their dog Cooper had recieved a donation that saved his life and later became a donor.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

The CABB is doing a blood donor clinic at our vet hospital on Tuesday so I’m going to take Kiwi for her first time. Fingers crossed she can be still long enough…

Pat how big of a patch do they shave on the neck to draw the blood?

Pat
    Participant

Wow, great for you Kiwi.
    Christine , it depends on the vet, the size of area that is shaved. Last week, the vet we were at shaved about a 3 in by 2 in. It’s been a week, and I had a hard time finding it, less noticeable than the bald spot on her chest from when she had her biopsy a few years ago.

Just try and relax and stay calm, focus on Kiwi, especially if you are like me and can’t stand the site of blood. Gina and Beth are really good with the dogs, and since Kiwi is familiar with the Vet’s office and vet she will do great.

Good luck next week, I will watch for her picture on their Facebook page.

Lynne
    Participant

Good luck to Kiwi on Tuesday! Let us know how she makes out.

Pat
    Participant

Good Job Kiwi! You look great in your bandana, wear it with pride! or just carry it around in your mouth,.

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

Good for you Kiwi, so proud of you!

Lynne
    Participant

Good job Kiwi! That’s awesome that it went so well!

Shauna
    Participant

Awesome job Kiwi! Glad it went well.

Melanie
    Participant

Hi

I have just joined this group, I wanted to say this is an absolutely great thing. We have just gotten a golden puppy who was diagnosed with a severe case of hemophilia A and he will be needing blood transfusions in his life, most likely more than once. We are in the process of getting his blood type so we know if he is a match with our Bernese Mountain Dog incase we ever have an emergency. We are also looking into donating our Bernese’s blood as well incase anyone else has this issue.

Great topic to have

laurie
    Participant

Great job Kiwi. I love your red bandana.

Pat
    Participant

Welcome Melanie Can’t wait to see pictures of both your fur babies. Donating is such a good way of helping other dogs. Hopefully your pup will be fine, with the transfusions.

gpbarr1
    Participant

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. I have never given this any thought before until I saw your message. What a great way for dog owners to help other dog owners!

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

I figured it was a good idea to do a clinic at her own vet hospital for exactly the reason you said Pat, she’s comfortable there. I got a good vibe from my emails with Gina, she said they would make it as comfortable as possible without pushing her.

Blood doesn’t bother me so hopefully I’ll send Kiwi lots of calm energy.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by  Mom2Maddie.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Kiwi’s blood donation this morning was a success, she was a good girl. The people from CABB and the staff from our vet clinic were all so nice and helpful.

She’s not quite sure she likes the blood donor bandana they gave her so she’s holding it in her mouth like a goofy girl.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by  Mom2Maddie.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active