Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

Brushing Teeth

Home Forums Health Brushing Teeth

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Claudette Kinkade
      Participant

I am wondering how often do you brush your dog(s) teeth? The toothpaste tube suggests 2-3 times a week.

Sue
      Participant

I tried with Nelson and it’s pointless…he’s scared of his own shadow let alone the toothbrush.

gretriever03
      Participant

Hi Claudette,

I never brush my guys teeth, they never need it.

My vet is always amazed at how clean my guys teeth are and how fresh their breath is.

The secret is?

Mitch
      And the Fuzzbutts!

I.Heart.My.Golden
      Participant

I’m a horrible dog owner! LOL I don’t brush. But the dogs get regular things to chew like pizzle, dentasticks, teeth never get bad. Also preventive measures are sometimes the best, going to get Otis in during dental month (Feb) to just get a basic scale, and polish, I did that with my last golden about every 4 years. When there is a dental with no extractions/xrays, it’s actually quite affordable! That way takes off any plaque, sub-gingival junk starting, and the polish will help for a few years. I don’t mess around when it comes to oral care, the teeth are directly linked to the systemic system of blood and bad teeth can mean big problems!

Sue
      Participant

Just like people some dogs can have great teeth and others problematic. My dogs have had many years of raw food and chewing raw bones and with Nelson his gums always seems to be irritated. I just got his teeth cleaned as other things don’t seem to work. My Vet said that they are more concerned about the gum disease than the actual teeth. Exactly…no messing around with dogs oral care.

cheslyn1
      Participant

The nice raw elk neck bones I got are wonderful brushes. Claudette, mine get theirs done once a week when I do nails, etc. Not sure if it helps but they like it.

Ladies, do the dogs have to be put under for the cleanings?

Sue
      Participant

Yes the dogs have to put under there isn’t any other way to do a cleaning properly for them. I personally think it’s a must if the dogs teeth looked any bit red or inflammed or covered in tartar.

Claudette Kinkade
      Participant

@gretriever03 63689 wrote:

Hi Claudette,

I never brush my guys teeth, they never need it.

My vet is always amazed at how clean my guys teeth are and how fresh their breath is.

The secret is?

Mitch
      And the Fuzzbutts![/QUOTE

And my dear Mitch, what is your secret? I am sure all of us would like to know. You always have such good information to give, when asked.

Sue
      Participant

There is no secret Claudette…my parent’s Malamute ate wet Pedigree Pal all her life. She never had a raw bone and never got her teeth brushed or cleaned and her teeth were white and perfect until the end 14 years later. Every dog is different what works for some does not work for all. If it were only that simple.

gretriever03
      Participant

Hi Claudette,

Lots of raw beef bones, knuckle bones, Elk Antler chews and things of the likes.

All nice pearly whites of my crew.

But I also agree with Sue, each dog is different.

Think genetics into the picture as well.

Mitch
      And the Fuzzbutts

I.Heart.My.Golden
      Participant

I’d like to add Sue, you don’t really know whats going on in the mouth, until they’re under and you can seriously look “in” there. Otis will be 4 in March, and he’s just getting a tiny bit of tartar on the bass of his bottom canines, and a bit of staining on the molars. A lot of the time if it’s a routine scale and polish, it’s done in less than 30 minutes. Personally, its just something I save up for and make sure I do every 4 years (or when needed). My last Golden had them done at 4, 8, 11 years – it was always a simple procedure, never an extraction. Also usually when they’re knocked out, I’ll check hips and elbows while they’re there (might aswell right?)
      All the small breeds are just notorious for horrible teeth, luckily I don’t think dental disease is very prevalent in Goldens.

Mom2Maddie
      Participant

We brush once a week, although I know we need to start doing it every couple days. She loves the toothpaste so it’s just taking the time to do it. Kiwi already has tartar developing on her top back teeth which the vet said is where the salivary glands are so we need to pay special attention to those teeth. She chews on antlers, Nylabone dental chews etc so I think she’s going to be one of the unlucky ones that is going to need her teeth cleaned periodically.

Lynne
      Participant

Well let’s see, Rylee is 2.5 so, once every 2.5 to 3 years?! We have a hard time brushing and furminating her never mind brushing her teeth!!! She chews on antlers and vet just said her pearly whites are looking fantastic.

Pat
      Participant

I started out trying to brush Carmel’s teeth but stoped after about a year. So far her teeth and gums look good. If the Vet ever recommends that they really need it, I wil have them done. My last dog never had her’s cleaned and she had all her teeth when she died at age 15.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active