Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

Cheyanne

Home Forums Health Cheyanne

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Claudette Kinkade 4 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Pat
    Participant

Cheyanne had been doing so well…until last week when she started peeing in the house. Took us almost a week to figure out which dog it was…but by Monday morning I knew which one it was. Didn’t have any symptoms…was actually acting like her usual self. Getting up beside me on the couch or bed and lying on her back for belly rubs..something she hasn’t done since the fight early September. Letting us touch her neck now. So after work on Monday came home and collected a urine specimen…wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be…she managed to squeeze out enough for the Vet to test. (she had voided in the house before I got home and it was still warm) Ran it in to the Vet and they tested it right away. Showed lots of white blood cells-shouldn’t have any and lots of bacteria. Was given amoxicillin for her for the next 14 days and I left to come home. Hadn’t even got in the door and the Vet called, he had more to tell me but I left too quickly. Her urine also had high specific gravity and was showing large amounts of protein…..all signs of renal/kidney failure. And from my research on the internet…urine infections can be caused by renal failure.

So this morning we went back and he drew blood for a Chemistry profile, and I took in another urine sample so they can run a urine/creatinine profile. (measures the amount of creatinine in the blood compared to the creatinine in urine. Said he would call us late tuesday afternoon or early evening, after he gets the results back. She has lost 12 pounds the last 3 weeks (since the stitches where removed on Sept 18th….I think that’s alot..the Vet didn’t think so). Weighed in at 94 pounds. She is still on the weight loss medication. But renal failure can also cause weight loss. He did some research and doesn’t think the Slentrol would have caused any of this. But Lyme disease can…and surgery can. He didn’t run a chemistry profile before surgery as there wasn’t any need for it. He just did a CBC and that won’t tell you if the dog is going into renal failure.

Would like to hear from anyone who has gone through this with their fur baby. I know there is lots of info on the web..but almost too much, and overwhelming looking at it.

Cheyanne and (I) would would really appreciate you continuing sending the power of the paws our way…until we hear the results. Next week.

Sue
    Participant

Pat I don’t have any experience with renal failure in dogs. I’m so hoping that Cheyanne is felling better soon. I certainly would not hesitate to take my dogs to the University of Saskatchewan Vet hospital for any issue that they had. Sending super Power of the Paw from us.

Lynne
    Participant

Poor Cheyanne. We will most certainly continue sending power of the paw your way. i don’t have any experience to help you but I think 12 pounds in 3 weeks sounds like a lot too. I heard that one percent of body weight per week is healthy for a dog.

We will be thinking of you guys on Tuesday and please keep us posted.

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

I am so sorry to hear this, Cheyanne has been through so much. Just when she starts acting like her old self, something else shows up. I will send the power of the paw and also say some prayers for your beautiful fur baby. I know how difficult this is for you, I hope your vet can get her feeling better. She has a great mom to take care of her. Hugs.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

No experience to offer but we are certainly hoping the vet can get to the bottom of it. Sending lots of good thoughts and Power of the Paw.

Sue
    Participant

Pat how is Cheyanne doing?

Pat
    Participant

She seems to be doing fine. Still waiting to hear from the Vet. Said he would call later today after the test results came back. Not sure were he sent them to be processed. Forgot to ask. He does sometimes send to University of Sask, but not sure if this is where they went, or a lab in the city.

Hasn’t voided in the house since Friday night/Saturday morning. I did get up Sat and Sunday and let her out, but last night she slept the whole night.

Pat
    Participant

Good news…. blood work urine came back normal. Thanks for all the power of the paws, and pawstive thoughts.

Now as soon as both there fur grows back we can put this all behind us.

Sue
    Participant

Fantastic news Pat!!! Big hugs to the girls and one for yourself also 🙂

laurie
    Participant

Big sigh of relief from Ripley and I. power of the paws to getting your fur babies 100% by Christmas.

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

Great news! So happy Cheyanne is okay. Hope all the past troubles can now be put behind you and all of you can get back to normal, all of you definitely deserve it. Sending positive thoughts and a big hug to all of you.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

So glad the results came back with good news for Cheyanne!! Sendng Hugs for both your girls

Shauna
    Participant

So happy to hear everything is normal. Hugs to your girls.

Lynne
    Participant

Good news Pat! Now they just have to heal up completely – still keeping you guys in our thoughts!

Pat
    Participant

Well we are battling another bladder infection/and or kidney infection. Last Thursday and Friday nights must have peed in the spare room again. I went in there to put something away and stepped in it, Was too late to try and catch a specimen sat morning as they had just been let out. And the Vet office closed at noon.
    I kept an eye on her and let her out early Sunday morning to prevent her going in the house. And fairly frequently during the day. So glad I am on vacation just now.

She isn’t persistent enough to wake me up unlike Carmel. Cheyanne just comes over to me and sniffs if she gets no reaction she leaves…Carmel will whine and paw at me till I get up.

First thing Monday morning went out with her and got a large amount of really foul urine. Ran it into the Vet’s office and of course positive. Not sure is we didn’t have her on long enough (14 days) the last time or something else is causing this. We are going for 21 days this time. She seems a little better. I had told hubby that I thought a few days before that she wasn’t feeling well and had thrown up a large amount of frothy bile on the Wednesday morning. She had also been really testy around Carmel as well.

She seems to be doing a little better now…and surprisingly haven’t had any trouble giving her the amoxacillin capsules, so far.

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

Sure hope the medication helps Cheyenne and she is feeling much better soon. She definitely is not feeling well, and I know you are there for her. If only they could tell us what is hurting them it would be so much easier. Sending power of the paw and a prayer to Cheyenne and you. Hugs.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Poor Cheyanne. Hope she’s feeling better soon.

laurie
    Participant

Poor baby. Hope the meds work for her. Power of the paw from Ripley and hoping she is feeling better by Christmas.

Pat
    Participant

Hi! Just a quick update. Read everything, but have trouble with replying or posting using the tablet..and am not on the desk top that often. Cheyanne last urine test Dec 11, came back negative..so seems the antibiotics worked this time (keeping our fingers crossed). She seems more her usual self now. She has lost another 2 pounds and is looking good. She is no longer taking the weight loss medication. The low calorie food seems to be working..is even helping Carmel loss a few much needed pounds. Both their fur is finally coming back. Noticed that Carmel seems courser and where she has the large fat lump on her neck the hair is not returning. Cheyanne looks more herself..though it is still short. Few more months and should not be able to tell she was bald around her neck.

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

Happy to hear things are going well for Cheyenne and Carmel, should make for a “happy family.” ❤️

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active