Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

Connor twisted leg/hip?

Home Forums Health Connor twisted leg/hip?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  3Goldens 5 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Nano
    Participant

Today Connor was squirrel hunting and racing around the park. One of his canine friends who is constantly humping him, was running around with him. The other dog jumped on Connor and they went around in circles as Connor tried to get him off.

Then I saw Connor tumble and heard a yelp. Everyone ran over and Connor was sitting with his left rear leg sitting at an odd angle. I touched the area gently and he didn’t show any signs of pain. In fact, he was still looking up in the trees. (He’s completely obsessed).He got up without difficulty.

After awhile I had him walk a bit. No pain, just favoring that side a bit. As he walked he got better steadily and still was trying to get off leash. Which of course I didn’t allow him to do.

We had a gentle walk home and he was fine and ready for breakfast but I’m wondering if these things can flare up later. I called his vet but he’s at a conference. The other vet is supposed to call me back but I would prefer to wait to see his regular doctor. On the other hand I don’t want him aggravating it or in pain over the weekend.

Any experience with this type of injury? Another dog person told me that dogs have ‘rear wheel drive’ so back leg injuries are more serious than front ones. Obviously concerned about his hip, too.

3Goldens
    Participant

Not with the hind legs, but Spirit once went racing off the deck after a squirrel, ignored the steps and jumped down, stumbled but got right back up again. She seemed fine all day, but the next morning was limping badly on a front leg…so I’d say that yes, an injury might not bother Connor until the next day.
    I do hope that he his fine, and it won’t bother him at all!

laurie
    Participant

You have be very carful with Connor and make sure he doesn’t go for walks because even if they are in pain they still like to go for their walks. After Ripley had his knee surgery he thought he should be going for his walks as soon as he got home from the vets, I don’t think they feel pain until they settle down and have a sleep then it shows how much when they try to get up from their sleep. Hope everything is going to be ok for him, keeping our paws crossed. P.S. Ripley has a love hate relationship with the squirrels too.

Lynne
    Participant

How’s Connor doing today? Hopefully feeling better. Good luck trying to keep him still!!!!!

Nano
    Participant

Connor is fine! He didn’t limp at all or show any symptoms yesterday or all day today.

He has an appt tomorrow morning so I’m going to have him checked out just to be sure. But, paws crossed, I think the vet will give him a clear bill of health.

Thanks to all for their concern!

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Glad to hear Connor doesn’t appear to be limping or hurting after his tumble.

cheslyn1
    Participant

So glad he does not appear to have any major damage! Sorry to say…it will not stop the obsession with those bratty rodents.

Nelson
    Participant

So glad to hear that Connor seems to be fine. What is it with thos squirrels? I keep telling Nelson leave the dam squirrels alone before you break a leg…

Pat
    Participant

Glad he is OK, mine couldn’t care less about the squirrels and we have lots….its those darn cats…

Nano
    Participant

Connor’s vet gave his leg a good going over. Connor lay on his side, sweet as a lamb, while the vet pressed, pulled and manipulated his leg.

“Solid as a rock,” was the proclamation. “He can go back to being a normal dog.”

So no rehab necessary. Connor is back on track but the experience didn’t jolt him out of his squirrel problem!

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

Way to go Connor, so happy you got a clean bill of health from the vet. Now if those darn squirrels would just stay out of your yard. Be careful big guy!

laurie
    Participant

That’s great news for Connor bad news for the squirrels.

cheslyn1
    Participant

Connor you need a younger brother so you both can coordinate and catch them rodents!

Glad to hear you are all better!

Nano
    Participant

Oh don’t tempt me with another puppy! I was playing with a litter of six week old Aussie Shepherds the other day. OMG! Round, adorable black and white puff balls. The owner said, “You can foster one!” I’m not foster material. Yes, I would socialize and care for the puppy top notch but I couldn’t give it up when the time came. I once fostered a mother cat and kitten for a friend who runs a shelter and was in dire straits. It was heartbreaking to let them go, even though I knew they were going to good homes.

How delighted Connor would be if I came home with a puppy! The cats have been through it before so no problem there. But the thought of dragging out the pen and kennel, the middle of the night potties, puppy proofing the entire house again….then again the joy of having a puppy in the house….I won’t say a puppy isn’t in my future but not the near future. Resist! Resist!

cheslyn1
    Participant

LOL – do you want me to do a post on the horrors of puppy chewing to help you out with resisting?

3Goldens
    Participant

I’m happy to hear Connor is fine and can go back to being a normal dog!! Must chase those squirrels lol

Nano
    Participant

Thanks for your reply!

I talked to the vet and she said to keep him off walks today and tomorrow and if he starts limping or showing other symptoms to bring him in on Monday. I made an appt for 9:00 just in case.

She also said if he showed signs of pain to give him one aspirin every 8 to 12 hours but only if he needs it.

She didn’t think it was serious because he is walking on it and not in any pain but agreed it could get sore tonight or tomorrow.

What happened to Spirit sounds just like something that Connor would do. He is completely obsessed with squirrels, particularly in that park. (That’s because one fell out of a tree once and he’s waiting for it to happen again).

What was Spirit’s diagnosis? How long did it take her to heal? Please tell me more.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by  Nano.

Pat
    Participant

Oh come on Nancy two are way more fun than one…LOL,

I would love to foster, was a pregnant mom at one of the shelters was looking to foster…I was so tempted……

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by  Pat.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active