Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

Grooming Day

Home Forums General Grooming Day

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Claudette Kinkade
      Participant

I just called to schedule a grooming appointment for Jake, he really, really needs one. I asked if they could schedule him for a time that is less busy so that he is not there 6 hours or more. That is just too long to be there waiting to be bathe and dried especially now that he is getting older. I didn’t like it when he was younger but I didn’t say anything to them; they do a nice job on him and he does like the young gal that grooms him, she is very kind. Well, I got my request, 8 a.m. on Monday morning. Jake and I will be getting up very early on Monday, we usually sleep until 8 a.m. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I.Heart.My.Golden
      Participant

Good luck Jake, I’m sure you’ll look even more handsome (is that even possible?) lol
      Just out of curiosity everybody, what do you all pay for your grooms??? I am lucky enough to be able to do them myself, but just curious. I used to pay about $40 for my first golden Molly, she was never matted, had a full coat, but I kept her immaculately brushed. I was looking around to have someone else groom Otis, (before working here at the kennel) and his groom would be close to $90!!!! just because he’s big, I thought that was ridiculous!

Claudette Kinkade
      Participant

It will cost be $65.00 plus tip to have Jake groomed. They have not ever told me they charge more because he is big and has lots and lots of fur to be dried.

cheslyn1
      Participant

Oh Jake will look extra cuddly on Monday!

It is around $60 here for a bath and dry but around 80-90 for the show grooming I used to get done for Harley. I only do a professional now once in a blue moon, Maci at 6 years of age has only been once 🙂

Mom2Maddie
      Participant

I paid $62 plus tip a couple weeks ago. Look forward to pics of the handsome Jake after his grooming:)

Meadow
      Participant

Jake always looks gorgeous and fluffy to me. Can you take a “before” picture, and put it in the post with your “after grooming” picture?! You take SUCH good care of him, that he just always looks soft and huggable!! I’d like to see the difference that grooming makes in Gentleman Jake. 🙂

~Maureen

Nano
      Participant

Looking forward to seeing handsome Jake after his day at the dog spa! Love the idea of a before and after shot. 🙂 (Also, the nickname ‘Gentleman Jake’ – good one, Maureen!)

I found the price comparisons interesting, too, especially the part about charging more for size. Connor is big but not as fluffy as Jake. He has a coarser coat, I think. Still, it would take a very long time to dry because that’s the kind of dogs they are. If they charge more for Goldens, I wonder what a Bernese Mountain dog or rough Collie would cost. Their coats are thicker and longer than a Goldens. Hmmmm. I know a rough Collie owner – I’ll ask her next time I see her. I can see charging more for thicker fur or more complicated ‘dos’ but I don’t think it should be based on size. A long haired Pekingnese or show ready Poodle must take longer to groom than a Greyhound or Labrador, for example.

It is good that they were able to accommodate Jake’s time request. It must be agonizing for the dogs to suit in a humid, noisy salon for six or more hours. BTW, how old is Jake? He looks timeless!

Claudette Kinkade
      Participant

I’ll try to post a before and after groomed picture of Jake; he will be 9 years old on April 11th. He is a senior citizen, don’t know how that happened.

3Goldens
      Participant

Looking forward to pics of Jake after his grooming–but how could he possibly be more handsome than he already is! I’m glad he doesn’t have to be there all day…

I do all the grooming myself. Baths, brushing, nail trimming….everything that needs to be done. Years ago when I had small dogs I would take them to a groomer for trimming, until the groomer cut off the tip of my dog’s tail….Haven’t taken a dog in to a groomer since and I never will again.

laurie
      Participant

I just took Ripley last Wednesday and it cost $80 which is about the same at all the groomers here. Cant wait to see Jake’s picture.

Claudette Kinkade
      Participant

@3Goldens 64266 wrote:

Looking forward to pics of Jake after his grooming–but how could he possibly be more handsome than he already is! I’m glad he doesn’t have to be there all day…

I do all the grooming myself. Baths, brushing, nail trimming….everything that needs to be done. Years ago when I had small dogs I would take them to a groomer for trimming, until the groomer cut off the tip of my dog’s tail….Haven’t taken a dog in to a groomer since and I never will again.

Nancy, You do an excellent job grooming all your girls, they always look so pretty after their baths. I know it is a lot of work, but your efforts sure do shine.

3Goldens
      Participant

@Claudette Kinkade 64276 wrote:

Nancy, You do an excellent job grooming all your girls, they always look so pretty after their baths. I know it is a lot of work, but your efforts sure do shine.

Thanks Claudette! You’re right, it is a lot of work doing 3, but it’s a labor of love for sure! I’m not sure which is worse, bathing all 3 or cleaning up the mess after!!

cheslyn1
      Participant

@3Goldens 64283 wrote:

Thanks Claudette! You’re right, it is a lot of work doing 3, but it’s a labor of love for sure! I’m not sure which is worse, bathing all 3 or cleaning up the mess after!!

Because I have been bathing Harley every week I have been doing it at home. But we usually take them to a few doggie washes around here just to use their room and better tub. It is very nice to leave the mess behind 🙂

Also just noticed while cleaning the dog’s stuff up last night….I seem to be a wonderful collector of brushes and shampoos now LOL

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active