Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

Heartworm/tick prevention

Home Forums General Heartworm/tick prevention

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Pat 4 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Kiwi went for her heartworm blood test today. For some reason this time around I was really unsure as to what to purchase for heartworm and ticks. I would never not give heartworm prevention living where we do but ticks are something we haven’t found to be an issue (yet).

Kiwi was on Interceptor the first year (it was the prescription we had bought for Maddie but then she passed away before taking the first dose) and the last 2 years since Interceptor was discontinued she was on Revolution (topical) which covered for only 1 kind of tick I believe and it’s not the deer tick that can carry Lyme.

I’ve heard/read Interceptor is coming back so I would have purchased that but so far it’s not available yet so I decided to switch to Heartgard Plus (chewable) for heartworm prevention this time. I know of quite a few people that use it and are satisfied with it. It doesn’t give any protection for ticks or fleas. The vet sells Nexgard for that but they didn’t have any in for her weight category so I didn’t buy anything for ticks and I’m still unsure of if I will. She did have the Lyme vaccine in December.

Just curious as to what you give your dogs for tick/flea protection (if anything)?

Lynne
    Participant

Hmmm, we’ve always used Revolution but now you have me second guessing our choice too!!! We are supposed to start Rylee on June 1 so haven’t purchased the product yet – I will ask the vet clinic about it tomorrow.

We’ve used Revolution on both Rylee and Kira and we have never, ever, ever pulled any kind of ticks off either. And we camp in the woods and hike down trails. I’ve always been a believer in Revolution but with the spike in deer ticks in the province I want to make sure she is protected.

Pat
    Participant

Not sure what are Vet is using this year in the past has been the Heartguard plus. Have used Interceptor in the past. Did not realize it had been discontinued. And I have always used an over the counter…tick topical. I really like the Bio Spot brand I buy in the states..but not sure when I will be able to get it. So I will use what ever the pet store sells for now. Unless the Vet has a suggestion. Cheyanne is going for her wellness checkup in the morning so will picking up the heartworm then. And after battling Lyme disease with Cheyanne..I want to make sure we use something even though she had the Lyme vaccine.

Sue
    Participant

I give Nelson the Heartgard Plus chewables and always have. I don’t give anything for fleas or ticks. I’ve just picked off the ticks in the past and since the dogs don’t run loose out of town anymore we barely have ticks. I don’t give Boober anything anymore.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  Sue.

Lynne
    Participant

Christine, I went to the vet clinic this morning to ask about revolution. They haven’t done enough research on the other types of ticks so they cannot make the claim on the box. Because of the success we’ve personally had with it, that will be the product we use this year.

Pat
    Participant

Cheyanne was at the Vet this morning ..She is doing well, but very anxious. Said her heart was just pounding. Last time took Carmel in with her to help keep her calm, since the time before thought she was going to give herself a heart attack, whining and trying to get out. Today not so bad.

Vet suggested the Nexgard, along with the Heartguard plus. He said with the topical (if I wanted Advantix,) then have to watch we don’t touch the stuff and can wash off..since Carmel swims and is bathed frequently, we went with the Nexgard (without finding out the price approx. $130 I think). Will try it for a few months. Said to Ken, It cost us way more to treat the Lyme disease, so 130 a year per dog is probably worth it. Said the tick situation is really bad this year. We haven’t picked any off the girls yet…surprising since our grass was so long until today hadn’t been able to cut it.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Thanks for the info Lynne, Pat and Sue. Good to know the products we’ve used or are now going to use are what you guys are also comfortable with.

Pat, just thought of one thing I read about Nexgard…I’ve read not to give it in the same week that you give Heartgard because it can react with the ivermectin in Heartgard. Not sure of the truth to that statement but it probably isn’t a bad idea to separate the two doses by a week or so.

Sorry to hear Cheyanne gets so anxious going to the vet 🙁

Sue
    Participant

Pat have you tried Melatonin for Cheyanne before the Vet. It really works. I actually give it to both dogs around 8pm at night.

Pat
    Participant

Christine, the Vet told me to start the Nexgard right away and wait till June 1st to start the heart worm, so they will be a few weeks apart. I think it makes sense, cause what if they have a reaction, at least you will know which one it was. The girls just gobbled it up, and where fine afterwards.

His assistant, said she has heard from some of her peers at other clinics, some are reporting up to 20 ticks on dogs and these are city dogs that haven’t been to off leash or the country. I know one of my co workers who has a golden, found 2 on him on the weekend and was just freaking out, as they haven’t been to the off leash park, live in an apartment, and have only been out for walks.

Funny how different vets have different takes on the care and what meds are best.

Sue I will try and remember to try the Melatonin next time she has to go into the Vet.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active