Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

How Cold is too Cold

Home Forums General How Cold is too Cold

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  laurie 5 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

scot girl
    Participant

Does anyone know how cold is too cold to walk a Golden? It is brutally cold here in Ontario and I believe its -18 right now. I have been taking Zeus shorter walks, problem is he will not poop in our yard he will only go when I walk him. I do worry about taking him out in these frigid temps though. Anyone know how they hanlde it? Have a great day everyone.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

3Goldens
    Participant

I actually think it depends on the dog…right now it’s -22C here. Spirit & Storm want out all the time….Rookie has problems with her paws after 2 minutes in this cold. Rookie will sit and lift her paws up, so I know they hurt. I would say just stay close to home and keep a very close eye on Zeus–if he shows any signs of distress you’ll be close to home and can get him back inside quickly. Boots are always an option for their paws—but mine won’t walk with them on…they hate them!

Meadow
    Participant

Faith will not wear booties. Like Rookie, snowballs turn to ice balls in her feet within 4 or 5 minutes, and she’s using her teeth to try to rip them out. When the snow doesn’t gather, no matter the temperature, I found that I HAD to walk Faith. But when she physically can’t walk, due to those nasty snowballs in her feet that splay her toes apart, we stay in or very close to home.

Temperature alone doesn’t seem to be a problem though, for Faith.

How are Zeus’ feet when he goes out?

~M~

scot girl
    Participant

We have been taking him two fast short walks a day so he will poop. We put paw wax on when we go out which helps quite a bit but even with that his feet are a bit red which I think is caused by salt and we do our best to avoid it, we use pet safe stuff but most people use salt. I am on the couch as I write this and Zeus is right beside me looking outside, I know he is fed up. Poor Baby.

laurie
    Participant

Ripley is not a cold weather dog. He still goes for his walks but not at -30. His feet get cold if he stays out to long then he holds them up like there broke. He and myself can’t wait for spring.

scot girl
    Participant

Couple of Zeus in the Snow

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by  scot girl.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by  scot girl.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

cheslyn1
    Participant

10-15 minutes sprints around the block done here even in -30 and lower. With boots and coat on Maci.

-25 and warmer we bundle up and do our normal trip to the park or our 3 km walk. Boots sometimes on the boys, always on Maci. I delivered newspapers in Alberta winters for 10+ years –the dogs and their fur can handle a fast paced walk LOL

In the yard, I let them tell me when they had enough. Maci comes in quicker 1) because she does only walks around the yard 2) she always wants her couch LOL. The boys are always running and wrestling and bugging for water so they are good for awhile. Very cold I bring them in when they quit playing and start laying around.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by  cheslyn1.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active