Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

Iams Low Residue – Ethoxyquin

Home Forums Health Iams Low Residue – Ethoxyquin

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Mom2Maddie 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

buzz
    Participant

Buzz had the runs all the time after swimming so we spent money on Metronidazole to correct this. He also had a stinky flatulence problem. Our vet says he should be on a low residue diet and the purina forti flora. So we put him on just the Iams.

The initial cause of the runs was beaver fever where he doesn’t swim anymore because of the beavers. However when we found this out he was on Iams for quite a while.

The 30lb bag is now $91 here in Ontario and to boot we see it contains Ethoxyquin only today stupid us we should have looked. I just bought this bag yesterday! There is controversy on the compound and would rather err on the side of caution and not feed him food with this in it.

I do not know if the flatulence was from the swimming or not, maybe the Iams corrected this?

I am now in a quandry as to what food he should go on, any insight into my issue, he is now 9 1/2 years and health is good, skin, teeth etc

Pat
    Participant

Hello, not sure what the issue with ethoxyquin is, but as far as I can tell, not in the food Carmel is on. For the past three years she has been on Horizon Pulsar Fish.
    She just turned eight. She has chronic heredity skin condition, the food has really helped to keep the flaking down.
    Good luck with finding a replacement…food and what to feed them are a big issue with our goldens.

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

I don’t know anything about ethoxyquin either, hope you can find a good quality dog food for Buzz. Check with the store where you purchased the bag of food, I have in the past returned a bag of dog food that was not right for Jake. They should let you exchange it for one that agrees with Buzz. Good Luck, keep us posted.

Shirley
    Participant

Ethoxyquin is used as a preservative in some dog foods. It’s been shown to cause cancer in many dogs. If you do an online search you will find a lot of information. Personally I wouldn’t feed my dog a food containing this preservative. There are many dog foods on the market that use vitamin E as a preservative, a much healthier alternative.

Nelson
    Participant

Ethoxyquin is not good as Shirley states and I would certainly be finding another dog food. I have both Nelson and Boober on Orijen. Nelson will be 8 shortly and Boober 13 and they eat the same and love it. It’s not cheap but it’s one of the best dry foods. I also add real food and such to their meals. I’d have no issue taking the bag back and if it’s an issue at the store I’d get in touch with the company about it.

buzz
    Participant

Also his gas is back so another type of food is in the works after this bag…

buzz
    Participant

The gas is killing us, help?

buzz
    Participant

He is now on Acana the Chicken and Burbank Potatoe and the gas is back, after dinner while watching TV he relaxes next to us and well you know what…

Just for the record Ethoxyquin is a rubber preservative and also is used to prevent scalding on apples so its registered as a pesticide. Its used in pet food to prevent the food from going rancid.

They have been using it in animal foods and feeds for over 30 years apparently but it is not fit for human consumption. That tells it right there.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by  buzz.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Have you tried feeding smaller meals in the off chance he’s gulping air while he eats, that was one thing I read while googling flatulence in dogs.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by  Mom2Maddie.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active