Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

Kira September 29, 2002 – June 27, 2010

Home Forums In Memoriam Kira September 29, 2002 – June 27, 2010

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  DaveL 8 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Lynne
    Participant

My husband and I were living in an apartment in the city and had just purchased a building lot outside of the city on over 1 acre of land. As soon as we signed the deal for the house, we knew we were going to get a golden. We got a call on a Sunday morning, September 29, 2002 that our girl had been born – that afternoon we went out and bought all her puppy supplies.

We brought her back to the apartment with us and we were able to potty train her there while our new house was being built (everyone agrees that was a smart move). She immediately changed our lives in ways we had no idea she would. The first two years were trying as she did get into mischief – the one day I came home from work and I could not see the living room carpet for bits of wrapping paper and broken animal toys (I had wrapped the Christmas gifts for the pets and put them under the tree the evening before) she was so happy that I was home I think she forgot about what she had done or, didn’t think it was a such big deal!!

Things got way easier after she turned 2. By then we had fenced in the backyard for our princess to run free, she had her own kiddy pool and had more toys than most children. She was treated like our baby – she came everywhere with us and trips and vacations were planned around her. We both took her through Obedience and I even did one year of agility with her – she loved it!!!

When my husband and I would play fight – if he would hit me, she’d attack him, if I’d hit him, she’d attack him!! She really took care of me and felt a need to protect me. My husband could get up 2 or 3 times in the night and she continued to sleep on the floor on his side of the bed. If I get up, she gets up with me. She loved being with us – she was constantly following us around the house from room to room and would love a car ride even if it was just to the city for groceries – if she was with us – she was happy!

All her life our poor girl had health issues – when she was spayed after we brought her home she had some sort of reaction to the meds which required hospitalization, she had thyroid problems, she would get these odd flare ups where her lips would swell and go pink – we’d put her on prednisone and it would go away, she had an allergy to mosquito bites and to dog foods. For the past couple of years she’s been having problems with a back leg where, at times, she would limp or not be able to walk on it when it was bad. We worked through everything and did what we could to make her life better.

We did not expect on Thursday June 24th to be given the news that we were given. On that Wednesday she did not eat which we didn’t worry about because we had gone to the groomers the evening before and we had some wicked summer storms in the area which always made her nervous. On Thursday she wouldn’t eat for me in the morning so, off I went to work. When I came home from work she wouldn’t eat and wouldn’t get up for me and I noticed that her lips were pale. I called my neighbour who helped load her into my backseat as my husband was golfing. We drove over to our vet clinic and the girls took her temperature – she was just below 41. The vet was off for the day so, we were instructed to rush her into the city to the 24 hour animal hospital. I took her in for what I now realize was her last car ride.

They took blood and realized that she had autoimmune hemolytic anemia where her immune system was fighting off her own red blood cells. The odds of coming out of this are only 50/50. They immediately put her on immusuppressant drugs to try and stop the attack. We came home that night without our girl and neither one of us could sleep waiting for an update on how things were going. On Friday she got her numbers a little higher with the drugs – up to 22. 30 is safe and over 35 is the norm.

We got a phone call at midnight Friday night and the vet told us that Kira was crashing and needed a blood transfusion as she could pass at any time – she was down to 12. We authorized the transfusion and immediately sent out emails to all our friends and family asking for their help with prayers.

On Saturday her numbers started coming up a bit again – getting up to 22. That evening after a major storm passed through the city we visited our girl and were able to take her outside for her every 4 hour pee. I held her leash on the way outside and my husband held the leash on the way back in. She stood for a few minutes on the grass and sniffed the air the way she always does – as sick as she was she still wanted some time to enjoy the outdoors.

We slept a little better that night knowing that her numbers were going up but, we got a call on Sunday morning from the vet on staff saying that her numbers were coming down again and that in his opinion and the 24 years experience, to transfuse again so many days into the ordeal usually proves useless. After talking to our family vet over the phone, we drove down there to see for ourselves. Her jaundice was way worse – her lips and tongue were actually yellow and the white of her eyes was just about green.

They walked her into the room with us and she wagged her tail and sat on her blanket. We gave her some hugs and kisses and then she layed herself down. The spark in her eye was not there. We asked her if she wanted to go see Kandi (my parents dog that passed away a year ago) and she perked her ears up at us at that.

Deciding to let her go was the hardest thing we’ve ever had to do. We knew that we had to do it for her – as a pet owner it’s your responsibility to make that decision and to always keep their best interest in mind. Oh how I was tempted to transfuse one more time just in case and that would’ve been out of complete selfishness and it would’ve been wrong.

Our baby girl went very quickly as she was so weak but, my husband and I were with her (along with her bear that she’s had since we brought her home) and we were hugging and kissing her and telling her how very special she is to us when she left us. Afterwards we noticed how peaceful she was and my husband looked at me and said “don’t worry about her – she’s fine, she’s probably running around like crazy with Kandi and visiting with some of our human relatives that have passed away”.

We have no regrets about what happened with Kira, we did all we could for her – the vets told us that there was nothing more we could do for her, we gave her a most wonderful life, she gave and taught us so much and we made the loving choice in the end.

Now we are thinking about all the good times and yes, we miss her like crazy every day but, every day gets a little easier. We are compiling a list of Kira’isms that made her the special dog that she is so that we never forget anything.

“It’s better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all”. Thank you Kira for all that you’ve given us and taught us. You were the most amazing dog and we are so proud to have had the opportunity to have you in our lives. We hope you know just how much we love you. We love you pooper and you behave while playing by the bridge and we will see you again someday.

Love Mom & Dad (Lynne & Craig) & the cats

[ATTACH=CONFIG]955[/ATTACH]

DaveL
    Participant

Lynne, I’m speechless. Kira was so lucky. So were Mom & Dad.
    DaveL
    Toronto
    * Winston (RIP)
    * Bentley (RIP)
    * Quin (RIP)
    * Charlot!!!
    Celebrate all their lives.

Rainbow Bridge
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together….

Author unknown…

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

I’m sorry that Kira had to leave you so quickly and unexpectedly. As you said you ultimately made the right decision for her as hard as it is on the both of you. She was obviously loved very dearly and I’m sure she returned all that love and more back to you. What a beautiful picture of her.

Rest in peace Kira.

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

I am so sorry your beautiful girl is gone, I can tell how much you loved her and she both of you. I love that you are compiling a list of Kira’isms, it will help you a lot.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active