Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

Monster Dog is 4

Home Forums General Monster Dog is 4

This topic contains 16 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  cheslyn1 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

3Goldens
    Participant

Happy 4th Birthday to Rookie, my monster dog! She was certainly the most challenging puppy I’ve ever had…so much so I swore I’d never, ever do it again!
    But at 4 she has matured into a sweet, loving golden girl. So all that frustration was soooo worth the effort. Lots of goodies for Rookie today and new chuckit balls, her very favorite thing!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

laurie
    Participant

What a beautiful golden she is. Happy Birthday Rookie, hope you have a ball(haha) on your big day.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Happy, Happy 4th Birthday to beautiful Rookie!! Hope you have a grrreat day and enjoy your goodies!

Don’t know what it is about those Chuckit balls – dogs just go crazy for them?!

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

Happy Birthday my gorgeous Rookie, I can still remember when you arrived, how can it be 4 years already. You have grown up to be such a beautiful girl. Enjoy your special day with your sisters and have fun playing with your new chuckit balls.

goldengirl
    Participant

Happy 4th Birthday Rookie! Enjoy being spoiled today!

3Goldens
    Participant

Rookie says thank you for all the Birthday wishes!!

Maureen, Rookie was a very challenging puppy, but maybe in different ways than Faith was. She will try to jump up to say hello if we meet someone on a walk…but will down & stay when I tell her to. She doesn’t push her way in there, as you describe. At home if we have company, she says hello, gets a few pets and then is happy to go lay down.
    Rookie has never been an overly excitable dog, the biggest thing for her as puppy was getting over her fears. She just seemed to be afraid of so many things. It took a long time and a lot of work & patience on my part to get her over her fears.
    Walking her as a puppy was a nightmare because she wanted to eat everything..and I really mean everything. Cigarette butts, plastic bags, dog poop, bits of dead animals…if it was on the ground, she would lunge and try to devour it….and Rookie didn’t chew…she tried to swallow it whole. There were days I was so frustrated at the end of walk I said I would never walk her again.
    So greeting people and the jumping up have never been part of what I found so hard to deal with Rookie…it was the other things that drove me mad and frustrated the heck out of me!!

Pat
    Participant

Happy Birthday Rookie..hope you had a great day…and got really spoiled.

Lynne
    Participant

Happy Birthday Rookie!! We don’t believe a word she says about you being a monster dog – you look like an absolute angel…

Meadow
    Participant

Oh, I see what you mean, Nancy. Yeah, Faith never ate things on walks, and if she did get something, the “Drop” command made her spit it out. That would have been so frustrating for you, because you worry – did she just eat poop from a dog that had been sick? What did she just wolf down this time?? I can see that would have been quite stressful. I would worry about stuff like that too! So she doesn’t do that anymore on your walks now?

I don’t mean to complain about Faith – I just don’t know *anyone* who has a Golden who is still this challenging at 4 years old. Heck I don’t know anyone who has a DOG who is still this challenging, lol. I suppose it goes back to “You don’t get the dog you want, you get the dog you need”. 😉 I am actually considering clicker training using operant conditioning to teach Faith through positive methods how to greet people properly, rather than forcing herself on them and hurting them. I got a good book out from the library, and I bought a clicker and treats. I just need to finish reading the book, and figure out how to clicker-train one dog, when I have TWO dogs.

Anyway, YAY that Rookie has become the dream girl in your pack, despite her difficult and sometimes harrowing beginnings! 😉

~Maureen

Pat
    Participant

Don’t feel bad Maureen…I still have a challenging dog at 8 years old….

Shauna
    Participant

Belated happy birthday to a wonderful girl!

Odette
    Participant

Just saw this. Hope you had a great birthday Rookie.

Nelson
    Participant

Happy belated 4th Birthday Rookie!! I can’t believe she’s 4 already. I remember making her those dog booties when she was a little puppy and they were too small :(. Time sure flies. We hope you had a great birthday 🙂
    Nelson & Boober

Cathy DW
    Participant

Time flies by in golden years, that’s for certain. Belated barkday wishes sweet Rookie.Enjoy those new chuck-it balls.

Gemma

cheslyn1
    Participant

Happy belated Birthday beautiful! And you tell mom you are perfect and that the AB gang would take you in a second!

Maureen, I still rarely allow Maci to greet people. She has enough self-control that we can sit stay and wait for people to pass. Her reward is we then sprint off cause she loves to run. I have told people they can see Harley but not Maci – most people can see why LOL
    I do not have the scratching issue with Maci though…she does know to keep her feet on the ground but she does lean and lean and lean until any one petting her has to brace themselves!

3Goldens
    Participant

Strange….I have no idea why those pictures got turned around like that!! Trying again

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by  3Goldens.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Meadow
    Participant

I knew her 4th was coming up soon! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, sweet Rookie!!

When you say that Rookie is a sweet, loving girl – I have to ask you some questions. When she greets people, say on the street during a walk, or someone visiting your house — does she climb over you to get to the person? Does she shove herself in there, despite you trying to get her to greet calmer? Does she put that big paw up,scratching the person on the leg in a way that says, “HEY, STUPID, PET ME!!”?

Maybe I have too high expectations for Faith, but around people, dogs, etc, she is still very difficult for me and people still exclaim, “Ow! Ouch!” as she jumps up, claws, and tries to lick, lick, lick. Is Rookie like that? Or is she a sweet, loving dog even in those circumstances? If so… I wonder if Faith will *ever* be calm and trustworthy around people.

But since Faith and Rookie were very alike in the puppy stages, I have been very curious as to how Rookie is that way – not just around your immediate family, but with strangers, people selling things door-to-door, etc.

~Maureen

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active