Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

More surgery for Carmel

Home Forums Health More surgery for Carmel

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Pat 4 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Pat
    Participant

Noticed around Easter that Carmel had a very small pink lump on her back leg..decided to just keep an eye on it, but it grew really fast. Had her to the vet on Tuesday cause she was liking her front paw near the dew claw..had licked it raw and what I was putting on it wasn’t working, Looked at both areas and gave us a cream for the front paw and told me to use a cone if she licked the cream off. Which she promptly does. The growth, could either leave it alone…or have it removed. Since I don’t like the location (could catch on something and tear off) it is being removed on the 15th. Vet felt since it only involves the skin right now..should not be a problem removing it. We have opted not to have it sent away to be biopsied, since even if it is cancer would not need to do anything anyway. She has had benign lumps removed in the past, so pretty sure this is what this may be. She is being a suck about the collar, but can still lick her leg…using it more of lick and we will put the collar on, leave it alone and no collar…which seems to be working.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

hoping all goes well for Carmel’s surgery. Probably a good idea to have it removed. She doesn’t look too happy with that collar on and she almost looks like she’s giving you the evil eye! If only they could understand why they need to wear them.

laurie
    Participant

Aww poor Carmel she looks so sad with the collar on. Hope all goes well with the surgery.

Lynne
    Participant

Good luck to Carmel next week. Has the lump been bothering her at all? She already looks so sad with the cone on…like she’s trying to sucker someone into taking the collar off and the minute that happens she would start licking again!!! Hopefully she recovers quickly and is a good patient so that she can start enjoying the pool soon!!!

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

Poor Carmel – she does look sad. Those darn collars are not fun to wear, but necessary. Paws crossed for a successful surgery and that Carmel will be back to her old self soon. Hugs.

Pat
    Participant

Everything went well, picked her up just after 3. Has 5 or 6 stitches in. Was given a pain needle that is suppose to last 24 hours. She was really groggy when we first got home, but is now quite awake. Has not stayed still for more than 10 minutes at a time. Lies with me, then up and moving. Pooped just after getting home, had to tour the whole back yard first, and didn’t pee until just a little while ago, so maybe now she will settle. Was really hungry, was told only feed her a light supper, but no way, looking for food to steal. Stole two date cookies (human) off the counter, just after getting home. Had to put her inflatable collar on a little while ago, she was trying to lick at her incision. Really don’t want her pulling a Nelson..LOL. The next ten days will be a challenge. On vacation till Sunday, so will be home to keep an eye on her for now.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Glad to hear Carmel’s surgery went well and it sounds like she’s keeping Mom on her toes! Sending good thoughts for healing without incident and she’s lucky to have her Mom home with her this week.

Pat
    Participant

She finally settled and had a good night..but is able to still lick her leg with the collar..so off to buy a CONE..She will be none to happy when I return.

Lynne
    Participant

Oh no…the dreaded cone!!! Glad to hear things went well but it’s too bad she was already licking it. Hopefully she heals quickly. Please keep us posted!

cheslyn1
    Participant

Poor girl! Just sucks that they can not understand why they need the cone.

Pat
    Participant

Well she managed to get at the incision to lick it enough (when not wearing the cone) to remove at least one stitch on Friday. I resorted to bandaging it, but it is now infected. Even with the cone on she can dig in the dirt. Treating it with antibiotic ointment and dressing, then spraying with Bitter Apple…tried licking it a few times..but quickly stopped. Back to the Vet on Thursday..hopefully it will be healed enough to remove the remaining sutures.

Lynne
    Participant

AGH!! Carmel…you won’t be swimming anytime soon if you keep up with these shenanigans!!! Hopefully everything is good on Thursday and that she continues to leave things alone…

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Hope Carmel had a good check-up at the vet on Thursday and was able to get her remaining stitches removed

Pat
    Participant

Stitches came out on Thursday, but still a little inflamed, so continued the antibiotic ointment and cone,(and spraying with Bitter Apple) until this morning. Looked really good, so only sprayed it to keep her from licking at it, and left the cone off. Was a really happy doggy when I left and came home from work. If it OK by the weekend, she will be able to go swimming again of at least have her pool out to lie in. Thanks for all the good pawstive vibes.

Sue
    Participant

Pat did you get that lump biopsied by any chance? I hope she’s doing well give her a big hug from us.

Pat
    Participant

Sue..decided against the biopsy…mainly due to the cost and the fact, even if it was a cancerous growth, we wouldn’t put her through treatment anyway. Probably could have left it alone, but was in a really bad spot, and didn’t want her catching it on anything.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active