Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

Nylon allergy

Home Forums Health Nylon allergy

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  GoldenPop 4 years ago.

• Author

GoldenPop
    Participant

Recently Rudy has been suffering from itchy skin, hair loss (in small areas) and a bacterial skin infection. After spending over $600 in vet bills trying to decipher what the cause of it could be it turns out he was allergic to his nylon collar. He had all of the symptoms in two areas, his chest and front legs and his groin area. When I removed his collar his front legs and chest cleared up in about a week and stayed that way. But the most shocking change came when I stopped using his leash. The itching in the rest of his body ceased. My vet told me that one of her dogs had the same reaction to their collar as well. A co-worker also experienced the same problem with one of her dogs. Rudy still suffers from persistent itching but I believe it’s due to the nylon/wool carpeting throughout my apartment. His groin area is usually a light pink with splotchy areas of flesh tone. He has since been wearing a leather collar and has no problems with his frontal area since. This seems to be a recurring problem with dogs and seems to becoming more widespread. If your dog shows similar symptoms I would suggest switching your dogs collar to either leather or hemp and see your vet.

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

Wow, that is very informative. So sorry that it took so long to determine what was causing the itchy skin and hair loss. Is the carpeting in the apartment ready to be replaced? Maybe you can ask your landlord to not use nylon/wool in your place. In the mean time maybe you can put down a big area rug that is not nylon/wool and work with Rudy to lay on it. Glad he is doing better. Itchy skin is no fun, the licking drives you crazy. Keep us updated.

laurie
    Participant

Wow I would never have thought of allergic reaction to the collar so glad you found out.

Pat
    Participant

Would never have thought that either….though I know humans can be allergic to wool, nylon…latex. Glad you have discovered the probable cause…

GoldenPop
    Participant

Unfortunately Claudette they won’t be replacing it until I leave. In the meantime I’ve shampooed the carpet and bought an air cleaner and that seemed to alleviate much of it. It seems to be an ongoing process of eliminating the things that he’s allergic to. Right now he has small pustules on his chest still licks his groin, so I still have some more investigation to do to get to the source of his problem.

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

Sounds like you are trying everything possible to find out what Rudy is allergic to, eliminating one at a time to see what happens. Poor guy, if he is licking those spots that is how he tries to make it stop. It can be so frustrating not finding the source of the problem, but you are doing a good job doing all you can. Vet visits can be so costly but you need to get some positive results. Could it be connected to grass or a food allergy too? Did the vet put Rudy on any medication for the itching. Sending a big hug to Rudy.

GoldenPop
    Participant

Rudy’s on a raw diet and he’s always done very well with it. I’ve changed his food a few times in the last 4 months but it’s had little or no impact on his symptoms. I’ve also been treating the affected areas with a diluted provodine solution which has relieved his itching and has slightly improved the appearance of his skin. I’m convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that it’s the carpeting. Part of what makes it so frustrating is that the companies that make the nylon leashes aren’t required to list the mixture of fabrics or synthetics they use. If they did it would make it a lot easier to figure out what could be the culprit in this case. But because they don’t I’m flying blind and wasting a substantial amount of time and money.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by  GoldenPop.

GoldenPop
    Participant

One more note, I recently washed Rudy’s collar which also helped to eliminate a great deal of scratching, but not all of it. So it might help your dog to wash their collar at least at every bath.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active