Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

Pulling during Walks

Home Forums Training Pulling during Walks

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  GoldenLove 6 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Nyal
    Participant

I’ve come to notice that my dog pulls whenever she walks. There are times when she walks fine and I have tried several things such as going the opposite way when she pulls. I’ve even tried a sit command when she pulls ahead which she responds to well however I cannot seem to walk 2 minutes without stopping or correct the pulling. She’s 15 weeks now. We have her on a regular collar with a 6 ft lead. I am thinking of purchasing a Gentle Leader or an Easy Walker since I’ve read these items make a big difference in training to not pull.

Vanessa
    Participant

I think in the end, you will go with whatever works for you and your puppy. Myself, I prefer a slip or martingale collar. One reason I prefer these collars is that it is impossible for a dog to back out of them. Another reason is they give you a way to correct the pulling.

cheslyn1
    Participant

I use the gentle leader on Maci for walks. She was horrible for pulling until it clicked in that I would not move, talk, look at her until she came back to my side. Yes, for months we never made it 2 blocks but she gets it now and if I stop she hops right back over to me. If she was really bad we would quickly and quietly go back home and ‘quit’ the walk…of course it was only for like 5 minutes and we would try again. She still loves to pull, can never get anywhere fast enough but I do not allow it by making sure I have the time to go back to the car, house, whatever and make her walk nicely to whatever she wants. And this is the girl that has her novice rally obedience titles 🙂

With Harley I am trying to reinforce that close to me (so the leash is loose) is the best place to me. It really helped that I would take him for walks and we would run, then walk backwards, then do circles, etc so he had to pay attention to me and he gets excited so I know he thinks it is fun. If I walk them together though it is a whole different story…he pulls badly at first trying to be ‘front’ dog. I will mostly get a harness for him too this summer for the group walks.

People use various different things – really comes down to what works for you and your dog because getting out and having a comfortable walk is the important thing!

Vanessa
    Participant

@cheslyn1 52352 wrote:

People use various different things – really comes down to what works for you and your dog because getting out and having a comfortable walk is the important thing!

I agree – what you are comfortable with is the best thing. If you aren’t comfortable with a slip collar it won’t work for you. I started with the slip collar younger than I normally would because I had a pulled muscle and pinched nerve in my lower back. For me to be able to walk, and still move the next day I could not tolerate any pulling. With everything the comfortable method will probably work best, because that is the method that you will use correctly.

Nano
    Participant

Yes, you have to find your own way. I only use a regular collar on Connor. His pulling is better and worse depending on how excited he is and how diligent I am. I can’t believe I’m saying this but the ‘stopping and making like a tree’ thing works IF you have infinite patience, TONS of time and can hold your dog without losing your arm! I combine that with the ‘change of direction’ method and he is much better than he was.

I was very diligent when I first started walking him as a puppy. I didn’t tolerate ANY pulling. But then I broke my arm when he was about 4 months old. I had to rely on friends and relations to walk him and didn’t feel I could lecture them about HOW they walked him when they were doing me such a tremondous favour.

Meadow
    Participant

Myself, I have a prong collar on Faith, and in order to keep her in “heel”, I need to do a gentle correction about every 5 steps… and she’s a year old. Sometimes, I just need to do the hand motion that preceeds the correction, and she’ll self-correct. I wonder if some dogs are just more ‘pullers’ than others? At 15-weeks, Faith was such a severe puller that the Obedience school trainers told me that she *had* to wear a prong. Even they could not stop her from pulling.

That’s great that your girl will sit like that for you, and that you can walk several minutes without needing to correct her! Wow! That is really good potential there. 🙂 Have you taken her to Obedience School? That helped us so much to go there with Faith.

~Maureen

Vanessa
    Participant

I don’t really make Louie “heel” He is allowed to drift off to the side for a sniff, or lag behind a bit. My only rules are he is not allowed to walk in front of me or pull. If I stop to blow my nose, he is to sit stay, sit stay at curbs etc. I try to give him a chance to sniff and what not too.

scot girl
    Participant

My husband uses the prong collar and extendable leash when walking Zeus, I use a harness and a four foot leash we both find that Zeus walks well for us. I guess it is just trial and error, you will find out what works best for you and your pup. I dont like the prong and my husband does not like the harness, Zeus does not care either way but I will tell you that a regular choke or the martingale did not work with our pup. Good Luck.

Vanessa
    Participant

We just completed our first full length walk in some time. I never notice much pulling on the first half of the walk. My problem is always the home stretch. As soon as we turn towards home the pulling starts. It makes no difference if it’s a short walk or a long walk. It makes no difference if he gets his dinner right away or an hour after we are home. It makes no difference how many garbage cans are on the way – all he is thinking about is home. I do lot’s of sit stays on the way home. Lots of collar corrections. I wish the entire walk could be as pleasant as the first half. Once the roads are a little clearer, I’m going to try doing half of the walk one way from home, and the other half the other way, so home will be the half way mark and we will actually go past it to finish the walk.

cheslyn1
    Participant

Wow! I have no suggestions to you, although your idea sounds like a good one. I have the opposite problem…when Maci knows we are close to home and almost done she will start behaving like an angel in hopes that because she is good we will not go home.

Our walks are: leave the house, dogs pulling, stop everyone sits, walk, dogs pulling, pull out head halter, walk with out pulling but noone pays any attention to Mom. Turn towards home, Maci stares holes into my head with her eye contact, heels perfectly, sits, downs with out being asked, tries her new trick to spin, back to staring, walks, then slowly head goes down and she sulks to the door. LOL

Nano
    Participant

Hlarious story about Maci’s walk! ROFL! Especially ‘burning holes into your head’. Goldens have those kinds of eyes, don’t they? Boy, are they lucky that they are so beautiful because they are parcels full of challenges. Gotta love ’em!

derek
    Participant

perhaps you might try taking him to a leash free FIRST! Let the dog burn off sum energy, then walk him. and of course, praise him when he walks the way u want him to. Goldens follow with their noses, so if they are run first, they have more of a tendency to follow after and be more attentive to your demands. Exercise, discipline, affection. Cesar sez it best, and so simply. If you follow that advice, all things will fall in place if you are consistant in your training.
    good luck, derek

Maddie
    Participant

I know this is an older post, but I wanted to share what I started with Madison as she LOVES to pull.. 12 wks old.
    When we started our walks she was just pulling and jumping, chewing on her leash. And anytime I quickly would tug back she’d just tug harder… As we were walking a light bulb went off in my head.. Since they can feel energy through the leash, I decided to tie it to the loop on the back of my jeans.. So when she tugs she’s not feeling me tug her back..
    As she runs ahead of me, I turned around and started to walk the opposite direction.. We did this dance for I’d say 30 – 60 mins.. We walked about a mile from my house to the stop sign which is only to houses down.. But she finally got the message and started to walk beside me.. I was so proud of her.. The next day we were able to walk two blocks, and everytime she went to pull ahead of me I’d either start to walk backwards until she came beside me and sit, then we’d start to walk forward again.. She did such a good job.. I only have a regular leather collar and short leash. They catch on super quick.. I keep calling Madison my genius puppy.. 🙂

@nyal 52347 wrote:

I’ve come to notice that my dog pulls whenever she walks. There are times when she walks fine and I have tried several things such as going the opposite way when she pulls. I’ve even tried a sit command when she pulls ahead which she responds to well however I cannot seem to walk 2 minutes without stopping or correct the pulling. She’s 15 weeks now. We have her on a regular collar with a 6 ft lead. I am thinking of purchasing a Gentle Leader or an Easy Walker since I’ve read these items make a big difference in training to not pull.

Maddie
    Participant

This morning she was terrible on our walk, she just wouldn’t listen at all.. It’s strange how yesterday and the day before she did so well, but today she was jumping up biting at me, and just was just all around being noddy.. She wasn’t focusing at all.. Can dogs have ADHD.. LOL.. Well hopefully our walk this evening is better.. Sigh..

@maddie 57279 wrote:

I know this is an older post, but I wanted to share what I started with Madison as she LOVES to pull.. 12 wks old.
    When we started our walks she was just pulling and jumping, chewing on her leash. And anytime I quickly would tug back she’d just tug harder… As we were walking a light bulb went off in my head.. Since they can feel energy through the leash, I decided to tie it to the loop on the back of my jeans.. So when she tugs she’s not feeling me tug her back..
    As she runs ahead of me, I turned around and started to walk the opposite direction.. We did this dance for I’d say 30 – 60 mins.. We walked about a mile from my house to the stop sign which is only to houses down.. But she finally got the message and started to walk beside me.. I was so proud of her.. The next day we were able to walk two blocks, and everytime she went to pull ahead of me I’d either start to walk backwards until she came beside me and sit, then we’d start to walk forward again.. She did such a good job.. I only have a regular leather collar and short leash. They catch on super quick.. I keep calling Madison my genius puppy.. 🙂

Sue
    Participant

Ah the life of a puppy 🙂

Maddie
    Participant

I’ve stopped taking Maddie out on her walks until she has all her vacs and Zane has all his.. Parvo is running wild from Cobalt Ont, up through to Kirkland Lake.. Scary..

Nano
    Participant

@sue 57282 wrote:

Ah the life of a puppy 🙂

And WITH a puppy! 😉

GoldenLove
    Participant

I got Riley from a friend when he was about 5 months old from a friend and although i took him for many walks as a puppy with just his collar, he was not a good walker! I tried the gentle leader (that worked very well with my previous dog who was a german shep. who is still with my parents) but Riley would not budge even after a long period of having it on! He sat and would not budge, would not respond to treats, nothing! He is stubborn like that! After struggling with walks I introduced a pincher caller which is adjustable with links that you can take in and out and as long as it is fitted properly. Since using the pincher Riley walks really well although he is still stubborn, and when he smells a scent of something he wants to follow, he guides me that way! I have to stay stern to my path and jolt our 6ft lead to keep him in my path but it is just his natural instinct to want to retrieve rabbits and other small animals! Its difficult for me since I live in a small town surrounded by farms! If anyone has any advice or comments you can email me directly at stevedobos26@gmail.com but that is my input on the original post for walking!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active