Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

Recommendations for Breeders in Southern Ontario

Home Forums General Recommendations for Breeders in Southern Ontario

This topic contains 30 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Annette 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

kobkob1
    Participant

We are considering getting a second golden and have started researching Breeders. It does get VERY confusing because there are SOOOO many. I guess we truly lucked out with Barclay when we got him because we did NO research, just saw him and bought him (Bonnyview Kennels, Mount Forest). The only thing I would change about him was that we lost him to cancer at age 9 (much tooo soon).
    Cooper came from some backyard breeder and has no papers … again we lucked out, great temperment, no health issues thus far (he’s 7 now).
    I was considering Skylon because I love the English Style golden, but have gotten some feedback which concerns me. Another one is Willowcrest Goldens in Orangeville but again I don’t know much about them.
    So…. I would love to know some of your Breeders experiences and recommendations.

Thanks
    Karen

Sue
    Participant

Karen have you checked out Arcane, Ambertru, In the Pink, Stormynights to name a few. Sometimes looking a little out of the way is worth the golden.

3Goldens
    Participant

Spirit & Rookie are both from Ambercroft Kennels—in Palgrave Ont. It’s about an hour north of Toronto. Carol Lee is the the breeders name. Carol does everything a good breeder is supposed to do. Pups are raised in the house, not out in a kennel. She usually has a waiting list so doesn’t really have to advertise her puppies for sale.

I consider myself very lucky to have 2 of her Goldens, and if I ever do get another, I wouldn’t think of going anywhere else.

Sue
    Participant

Ambercroft was another one I also forgot to mention as I have heard very good things about the dogs and Nancy has 2 beauties from there. Most good breeders will have a wait list and I know that Arcane has one of two puppies still available from a litter.

cheslyn1
    Participant

Plan on it taking some time – make a list of what type, personality, etc you want in the golden, check websites, narrow it down, call, visit, repeat! 🙂

Meadow
    Participant

I did extensive research on Goldens that were within a 3-hour car ride from my home. We visited several — and the visiting is ESSENTIAL. We learned which ones we would NEVER want a puppy from, and which ones were wonderful. I would recommend that you don’t make any committment sight-unseen. One sounded SO awesome by her website and when we spoke on the phone, I told my husband that I was certain that’s where I wanted to get our puppy from. We made the drive out to her place, and we were shocked to find she had stalls in her basement with dogs and puppies – the poor dams were so neglected they were stepping on their puppies to reach us to get attention. 🙁 The sires were in rows and rows of outdoor kennels. Yikes!! Maybe that’s okay for some people, but my idea of “home raised” is in the living area of the home, and my idea of socialization was more than the “my Grandchildren like to play with the puppies” which was what that breeder told me.

I got my current Golden from Ashmar Goldens. I had concerns that she didn’t choose well for me, as I wanted a couch potato and I got the Energizer Bunny, but other than that, Faith is gorgeous and healthy and soooooo intelligent!

Treeverwood Goldens would be where I would get another Golden though, if I wanted another big dog. The environment is astounding, the dogs are wonderful temperaments, and the breeder is lovely.

Both of those are also actively showing their dogs – I would highly recommend either.

~Maureen

Sandra Lebed
    Participant

I got Lucy from Moonstone Kennels in the Kitchener/Waterloo area. She is the best dog I have ever had and had the most amazing temperment.

Sandra

3Goldens
    Participant

One thing I didn’t mention about Carol at Ambercroft—you do get to pick your own puppy and Carol encourages you to visit. For us weekly visits were not possible since it’s a 5 hour drive–one way. I know some breeders pick the puppy for you, and that is good too, but for me personally? If I’m spending that much money on any dog–I want to be able to pick my own puppy.

All the breeders mentioned here are very good, and as Maureen pointed out visiting first is very important. Lots of research, and don’t expect to find the ‘prefect’ fit overnight. Good luck and keep us posted on your search!

cheslyn1
    Participant

@TwoGoldens 59920 wrote:

One thing I didn’t mention about Carol at Ambercroft—you do get to pick your own puppy and Carol encourages you to visit. For us weekly visits were not possible since it’s a 5 hour drive–one way. I know some breeders pick the puppy for you, and that is good too, but for me personally? If I’m spending that much money on any dog–I want to be able to pick my own puppy.

Must be nice LOL – I have never gotten to pick my puppy but can not blame the breeders! With the husky she was the only girl, with Maci she was the only girl, with Harley we got second pick…yeap out of 2 males. The previous 2 litters before getting Harley (Harley’s breeder and another one) – there were no males.

3Goldens
    Participant

@cheslyn1 59922 wrote:

Must be nice LOL – I have never gotten to pick my puppy but can not blame the breeders! With the husky she was the only girl, with Maci she was the only girl, with Harley we got second pick…yeap out of 2 males. The previous 2 litters before getting Harley (Harley’s breeder and another one) – there were no males.

When we went to pick out Spirit, I was first on the list for females. There were 6 females & 5 males in the litter. We spent 2 hours rolling around on the floor with all of them before I decided on Spirit–what fun!

Sue
    Participant

My breeder also picked the pups for the people after talking to us and asking what we were looking for in a golden. She choose the perfect pup for me 🙂

Rafree1
    Participant

One thing I was trying to do on breeders websites was go to their “memories” page and look at dogs they’ve owned or dogs they’ve sold as pets to see their longevity. Usually if a breeder has a section like that it will have the birthdate and date of passing of the dogs. However, I soon realized it wouldn’t be likely for them to put dogs on there who only lived a few years due to health problems. That was my main concern. Health of the breeders lines.

Marquar
    Participant

You should be able to ask the breeder about various health issues. They should be upfront about any problems in their lines.
    All lines of goldens will have problems…. they are part of the breed. But look for a breeder that is willing to discuss how they are working to minimize the issues occuring.
    You can also check out http://www.k9data.com This is a pedgree database.. it has a option to look at longevity and see how long some of the relatives lived.
    Just some resources to check out.
    Jen and the Jengar gang:friendly_wink:

kobkob1
    Participant

Thanks for the information and the link for the pedigree! That is a very useful resource to have!

Karen

cheslyn1
    Participant

duh!! I keep forgetting about that site.

I see my Harley’s info has been updated. Looked at the longevity – lots did not report and the others are anything from 6 to 16. I will just go back to keeping my fingers crossed 🙂

kobkob1
    Participant

Yes I hear you about the research and reports. 6 to 16 … quite a variance. I guess no one can really predict longevity in dogs any more than we can in humans. The more I read and research, the more confused I get. I am just going to go with my gut instincts and when the time is right for a new pup things will naturally fall into place. I will pray that I get a loving companion for myself (and Cooper) and will do my best to ensure he has the best of food, exercise, medical care and hopefully live a long and happy life!
    Thanks as always for your comments, it helps to hear from others.
    Karen & Cooper

golden girl
    Participant

Funny I just joined and read this tread and want to let you know that I have a Willowcrest dog. I bought Cooper 8 years ago and he is the most amazing dog one could ever own. The way they raise their puppies is fantastic, unless of course things have changed. It is a small operation, as they also show horses, the dogs are amazingly well cared for and loved. I got all my paperwork as promised and the parents clearances. What was special as well was how they helped you with picking your puppy. We have had no health issues and they were great in getting back to us after we had bought Cooper and had a couple of training issues. I would not hesitate in buying another puppy there.

kobkob1
    Participant

Golden Girl …That’s so nice to hear! I paid them a visit last weekend just to have a look at how things were run and was very pleased to see the dogs all in the house, on the sofa, etc etc. Just the way I raise my dogs too, like a family member. So you have an 8 year old Cooper eh? I have a Cooper as well and he is just turning 8 as well! I would love to see a pic of your Cooper and if I can figure out how, I will send you a picture of mine.

Karen & Cooper

goldengirl
    Participant

What? How come there is another golden girl on this forum? That is confusing!

Meadow
    Participant

@goldengirl 60203 wrote:

What? How come there is another golden girl on this forum? That is confusing!

That is *exactly* what I thought! I guess the difference we’ll need to look for is the space in her username. Still… confusing.
    ~M~

golden girl
    Participant

Ahhhhhhhhh sorry goldengirl…. I didn’t know there was a goldengirl when I joined 🙂 I was actually a little surprised when the name wasn’t taken! I am not sure how to reply to kobkob1 but she wanted a picture of my Cooper. I got him 8 years ago at Willowcrest and he is such a wonderful wonderful boy. I loved the way they raised their pups and I see things haven’t changed if the dogs are still couch potatoes. Any hints on how to post a picture.

3Goldens
    Participant

just a bit off topic—but I wonder if it’s possible to change our user name? I think TwoGoldens is a bit outdated for me now :witless:

Lisa Schuyler
    Keymaster

Yep! I am able to change your usernames manually. Let me know what you want it to be and I’ll change it.

Lisa

cheslyn1
    Participant

Lisa, I would be proactive and change Nancy’s to 4goldens 🙂

Tammy

cheslyn1
    Participant

For pictures of Cooper – because we all want to see them!

Hit ‘reply to thread’ button and below the box for words/text there is an option to manage attachments – through there you can download/attach pictures. It is not overly hard…need more help, let us know.

3Goldens
    Participant

@cheslyn1 60279 wrote:

Lisa, I would be proactive and change Nancy’s to 4goldens 🙂

Tammy

hahaha Tammy—-thanks for the laugh. Never say never!

golden girl
    Participant

Sorry no luck uploading picture of my boy! Worked nights last night so will try when I have had some sleep.

Skokie
    Participant

Muskoka is an english golden and she came from Chartwell in Huntsville. I recommend Val highly. She did pick our puppy. She asked a lot of questions regarding our family, likes, activities etc. We got the perfect puppy for our family.

bbmac
    Participant

Hello,
    Just to update you, my husband and I lost our beloved Charlie this past July and went searching for a Golden Breeder. We found Cheryl O’Brien of Willowcrest Goldens. Cheryl has been absolutely the “best” breeder I have ever had the pleasure to meet. She is so hands on with her babies and so very knowledgeable. We brought home our new puppy in August and have been so pleased with everything! “Bruiser” is adorable, healthy and on his way to becoming a great dog! If anyone is looking for a good breeder – I highly recommend Cheryl!!!

scot girl
    Participant

@bbmac 62425 wrote:

Hello,
    Just to update you, my husband and I lost our beloved Charlie this past July and went searching for a Golden Breeder. We found Cheryl O’Brien of Willowcrest Goldens. Cheryl has been absolutely the “best” breeder I have ever had the pleasure to meet. She is so hands on with her babies and so very knowledgeable. We brought home our new puppy in August and have been so pleased with everything! “Bruiser” is adorable, healthy and on his way to becoming a great dog! If anyone is looking for a good breeder – I highly recommend Cheryl!!!

so sorry to read that you lost your dog Charlie but pleased to see that you have a new puppy to lift your spirits. Please post some pics of Bruiser as I know everyone would love to see him. I am sure everyone would love to see Charlie too. Regards

Annette
    Participant

I doubt you will see this reply, this is 5 years later than your post.
    I got a golden from Bonnieview as well. Wonderful dog! We were lucky in that he lived till he was 16. We had to put him down a month ago. You never know, maybe they’re from the same litter! I am currently looking at Willowcrest as well. I would love to know where you ended up getting your puppy.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active