Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

Rescued a Pugmix!!!

Home Forums Our other pets Rescued a Pugmix!!!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  I.Heart.My.Golden 7 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

I.Heart.My.Golden
    Participant

Hey Everyone, I’ve had quite an exciting few days…over the weekend I was on Kijiji and saw an add posted, it said “free pug, outdoor dog only, blind in one eye, don’t want her anymore” and there was this cute little picture of a pug mix….well something in my gut told me something had to be done… I called, spoke to a woman with a german accent, told me some info on the dog…and I planned to pick her up at 2pm!!. On Sunday afternoon We pulled into a little farm house just before Virgil…there was a makeshift barnish type thing in the backyard, we heard lots of barking. Took a couple of minutes of knocking until the owner came around the side…they were an old Mennonite couple, they had two Chihuahua’s and this little pug mix. The little pug came right up to say hello, she was a bit nervous, but the Chihuahuas were barking like crazy…she gave us the dog, then stating her name was Sophie (they had told us it was Margarita on the phone yesterday??). She traveled excellent in the car, in a crate, and when we go to the kennel she was very nervous coming out, she was confused, but with coaxing, and time she came out. She loves to be touched! She may be unsure of you at first, but she still wants you to touch her, so she warms up very quickly. We stuck her into the tub because she was so filthy and she LOVED the bath, calmed right down. Within the 3 hours of having her, she really warmed up to us, and wanted to sit in our laps, give us kisses. A REAL sweetheart. With new people, she wants to say hi, but she is unsure, if you just give her some time she warms up, and I know she will do very well. Upon examining her, she had a puncture wound on her rear (possibly from dog fight?), her ears are a bit fly bitten and thickened, and her left eye looks like it had an ulcer that has not been treated, we feel like she still has some eyesight left in that eye so we’re hoping for the best. She’s definitely had a litter, or multiple litters…teats are very large, and her vulva is too – she is a little thing herself, probably no more than 9-10lbs. We’re thinking she may have some Chihuahua in her. She is going to be staying in isolation in the kennel we work at until we can get a proper fecal done (hopefully today, done by tomorrow), I then have a wonderful family (whom I know through my therapy work) that owns a cute little puggle, and I think Sofie will do very well there. Here are a few pictures of the pretty lady, went to go visit her earlier this morning and they said that she actually used the pee pads over night, and was so happy to see me! My husband came along to meet her, and within 10-15 minutes of sitting on the floor, and coaxing with a bit of Snausages (her FAVE treat) she was sitting in his lap getting all the love she so badly wanted. I am taking her at 3pm to at least get her eye checked, possibly vaccines, a friend and I have gotten about $200 between us together, so whatever that will get us. It’s amazing though, we’ve just posted things on our therapy dog site, and on the Niagara pugalug rescue and everybody is willing to give a little donation…it’s amazing, I am so touched by the sense of community when there is a little dog in need. I feel so great that this beautiful little girl is finally getting the life she so badly deserves…I’ll keep you posted!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3306[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3307[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3308[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3309[/ATTACH]

cheslyn1
    Participant

She is adorable! Thanks for rescuing her!

laurie
    Participant

She is so cute. Love the second picture of her.

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

What kind of people just say, “don’t want her anymore”? She is adorable, it is better they let her go, she will have a better life in her new home.

cheslyn1
    Participant

@Claudette Kinkade 60683 wrote:

What kind of people just say, “don’t want her anymore”? She is adorable, it is better they let her go, she will have a better life in her new home.

Lots! I get several requests a year to rehome older goldens…and these people had them since they were 8 weeks old.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

People that think dogs are disposable like that make me so angry!! Thanks for getting her out of there and I hope she ends up in a home where she’ll be loved and appreciated

I.Heart.My.Golden
    Participant

Really strongly believe it was a “puppy mill” type situation, we heard a LOT more barking coming from the back shed thing….so I reported it to the SPCA…I hope they investigate quickly. Vet appointment went really good today, vet said we can possibly save the eye – YAY!!! Said there was definitely a puncture wound in the actual eye that has scarred over very much (probably from a dog bite, since she has puncture wounds all over her) he said shes had this ulcer for a very long time…and its very painful for her…just broke my heart. She barely has shown me that it’s very painful…but she’s had it so long, I don’t blame her…. pugs are such hearty little dogs!!!. But the rest of the eye is very healthy and she does have partial vision, so they put her on an eye antibiotic, ran a fecal that came back completely negative? when does that EVER happen? We applied a revolution, and other than that shes is pretty good health considering. We have a recheck in 10 days, and we will give her vaccines then! We have a GREAT foster home ready…which will probably be a foster-adopt thing… so everything is coming into place. We have some unbelievable donations from some of my friends, its so amazing…. I’m just glad shes out of there!!!!

Rafree1
    Participant

Bless you for doing this!! This is why most of my dogs have been rescues. Just so many wonderful dogs out there in awful circumstances. You will get so much out of being loved by this little dog and now she has a great life ahead of her! This story made my day! I just love it when one of these neglected animals find a forever home.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active