Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

RIO – Claudette's new puppy!

Home Forums General RIO – Claudette's new puppy!

This topic contains 47 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  cheslyn1 4 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Claudette is not having any luck with the site at all…Here is what she emailed me tonight along with the 2 pictures:

They were all so adorable , little furballs. All so friendly and curious. I will bring him home next week. So excited.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Claudette that is one precious little boy! I love in the first picture how he’s looking up at you, he knows you’re his new Mom.

GoldenMack
    Participant

Fantastic!! Congrats to Claudette. Ohhh puppy breath and sharp claws but oh so cute! – fond fond memories 🙂
    I too have had lots of issues linking to the site.

Claudette Kinkade
      Participant

As I was sitting on the floor with all the puppies it all came back!! They were untying my shoe laces, tugging on my pants, and all trying to get up on my lap. Flashbacks for sure, and those sharp little puppy teeth. Ouch! I have lots of puppy toys and two crates set up, one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom. I have been watching positive training videos since it has been 10 years since I have had a puppy in the house. I am excited and ready to bring Rio home.

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

Isn’t it funny I can post on your thread by cannot start one of my own. I give up!
    Thank you for posting these pictures for me. He is a little furball, it was difficult to leave him there, but I told him I would be back next week for him. They were all pretty good sized and all running around and playing with each other. I thought the same thing in the picture where he is looking up at me, like – DID YOU PICK ME? Can’t wait, so excited.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Please Don’t give up! I’m willing to keep posting pictures or whatever you need, you’ve been a member for so many years and now is a time you need this site to share happy tales and I’m sure some puppy frustrations too, plus we can’t forget puppy pictures! I know you’re beyond frustrated, I wish there was a simple fix for you:(

I sure would like to snuggle with that adorable little bundle of fur and smell some puppy breathe.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Having 2 crates is a good idea, that’s what we did with Kiwi. Those first few nights when they cry it’s so hard to leave them in there but as long as you know he doesn’t need to go to the bathroom try to tough it out. Talking softly and putting my fingers in the crate seemed to help. I almost gave in so many times but I’m glad I perservered. She still goes in her crate on her own at bedtime now, the door is left open and she doesn’t stay in there long as the king sized bed is much more comfy but at least she feels the crate is a safe, good place to rest.

There’s so much to learn having a pup again after so many years but the two of you will make out just fine. I’m sure your Granddaughter will be a ready and willing helper too 🙂

Meadow
    Participant

CLAUDETTE!!!!!! Oh!! A name! *Rio*!!! LOVE IT!!!!! Look how FLUFFY he is – reminds me a lot of Jake’s puppy pictures. That would be such a fun, familiar, wonderful thing for you. You have to know that Jake is soooooooo happy that a little prodigy will be keeping Mommy happy again!!!!! 🙂 It’s bittersweet… but much more sweet than anything else, I would imagine! 🙂

Two crates!! Perfect!! We raised Faith in our sunroom (for 8 months!!) and had her ‘other crate’ in the girls’ bedroom at night time. That works out SO perfectly!!

Rio seems to know that you are the special person in his life, that he will be depending on… and chewing on, hahahaha — I love the way he’s just gazing up at you!!!

Can I offer a tiny piece of unsolicited advice? (Hope you nodded, lol.) I remember that you had serious issues with Jake being able to get into your vehicle without being lifted in, and that it wasn’t till he was quite a BIG adult, before he was able to conquer that fear. I made that mistake with Faith too, and she had SERIOUS car fears that I had to pay a trainer to teach me HOW to help her. So, my unsolicited advice would be that as soon as he can manage a step-stool or such, I would practice, “Up in the car!” even if you just have him come out again without a ride, lol.

Ok – I totally swear – that is the *only* piece of advice I will give you, that you don’t ask for! I just felt SO badly for you that you couldn’t lift Jake, and sometimes *really* needed him to get into the car. So much is learned from having a dog – I already know what I would do differently or exactly the same, if I got another dog. I’m sure you have a list a mile long too – hence why you are brushing up on positive training and such. GOOD FOR YOU!! You are soooooooooo ready for this, Claudette!! 🙂

Valentines Day is coming…. and so is RIO!!!!!!!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

~Maureen
    🙂

Claudette Kinkade
      Participant

Maureen – I welcome any suggestions – thank you. When Jake was a puppy we had a F150 Ford truck and it was impossible for him to jump in. So, my husband put his legs up on the seat and hoisted him up. We taught him this way to get in we were told by the vet and the behavior trainer. Probably never would have been an issue if his master was there, we didn’t even realize what we were doing – just seemed the way to get him in the truck. And, believe me this little guy WILL jump in my car. He will learn early on the way to get in. Believe me that definitely has been on my mind. And, you are right I do have, in my head, things I would like to try to do different this time. But, that being said I loved Jake just the way he was, so I guess I didn’t do too badly with him. Can’t wait to get that little furball home. My granddaughter, Sarah, is coming with me. She is more excited than I.

Pat
    Participant

So cute….can’t wait to see more pictures…and love the name. Valentines day is coming soon! The waiting must be hard. Love the idea of two crates as well. And I think Maureen has a great idea about the car…but never worked for me. Carmel was taken every where, at least weekly in the car…and when she got bigger still had problems (and still do).

On another note..if you know someone who is computer suavely have them check your router/modem settings, not your computer settings. That was my problem last year. Took my son quite a while to figure it out (computer repair is what he does for a living). The router for some reason was blocking the site from working properly. No problems now

3Goldens
    Participant

Rio, love the name! And such a cute little guy! I am so very excited for you Claudette! Looking forward to more pictures and watching your new furball grow.

laurie
    Participant

Oh my gosh he is adorable. I bet it was hard to leave him there but next week will be here quicker then you think and then let the fun begin. So happy for you.

Cathy DW
    Participant

Welcome RIO. We look so forward to seeing you grow. You don’t know it Rio but your Mommy is extra special and you are going to be so loved. Looking forward to your arrival home.

3Goldens
    Participant

I think today is the day! Good luck Claudette and can’t wait to hear all about your new fur bundle!

cheslyn1
    Participant

Oh exciting and fun and adorable and cute! What a love Claudette – you will have so much fun and love….I am jealous! I love puppy training but must warn you…remember and plan but they are always different. I wanted to make sure I did X and B with Harley because Maci did…yeap Harley never did X but did Y!

Lynne
    Participant

Claudette emailed a picture of Rio in his new home!!!

Attachments:

Sue
    Participant

OMDOG!!!! Now who doesn’t want one of those??? So darn cute. Claudette you must be over the moon in love that little RIO. We are so happy for you.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Welcome RIO!! You are so adorable and have found your way to a most awesome Mom and I know you are going to be so loved. You have lots of Canadian fans already who have been awaiting your arrival 🙂 Congrats Claudette!

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

Thanks for putting Rio’s picture on the site. He is a little sweetheart, so curious and friendly. I saw him watching TV – there was A Michigan Humane Society Marathon on with dogs being put up for adoption and he was just sitting there looking at the screen. He took to the crate real well, slept all night if you think 5:45am is all night. He loves the snow (his mom not so much). Winter potty training is very challenging. It’s freezing, but doesn’t bother him. He is so much fun, and he’s getting 100% of my time right now because he is an only dog. He’s pretty big for 8 weeks – he sees the vet Monday for his first checkup. I’ll be interested to see how much he actually weighs. I love this little guy and I am going to enjoy each day – even when he is a little stinker. He is just so darn cute. I will be taking him to dog training classes – I think the age you can start is a little earlier than when Jake was a puppy. I am going to discuss this with the vet and then decide what I will do. I am so happy he is finally here! ❤️

Paulette
    Participant

He is adorable! Bet you are glad to have the little guy home finally. There is nothing like the sound of four paws following you around. I took my “Pak” to the groomer today and the house is so guiet! Can’t wait to hear about all the puppy antics!

Pat
    Participant

Congrats Claudette..Rio is so adorable….puppy breathe, and soft puppy fur ahhh..
    I remember the winter potty training so well, had to shovel a path and area for Carmel.
    But spring will soon be here..and lots of new smells and sights to explore. Everyday will be a new adventure for both of you. Hopefully lots of pictures for us to see as well.

Meadow
    Participant

YAY!!! Rio is *home*!!!!!! Actually, Faith’s breeder told me that winter is likely the best (easiest) time to potty train, since the puppy doesn’t get distracted smelling great things on the breeze, or seeing butterflies flutter past. She said that it’s cold, so once that cold outside air hits, they often have to pee right away! 🙂

I love hearing you talk about having him there. You are so appreciative of his little life and there will be no more blessed little puppy than Rio, with you as his Mom! 🙂

I can’t wait to hear all about the training classes, once you enroll the two of you, and start training! I LOVED doing all of that with Faith too!

ENJOY your sweet fur-baby!!

~Maureen

laurie
    Participant

OMG Rio is just so darn cute, I just want to snuggle with him. So so happy for you. Love seeing the pictures.

cheslyn1
    Participant

Oh what is your address again Claudette?? If I win the lottery this weekend, I will come help puppy sit LOL. Rio is adorable- very nice head.

Enjoy the quiet times, he will be getting confident and full of it soon!

Yes there are puppy socialization classes that start for dog anywhere from 8 weeks old to 12 weeks of age. Research them good though –I like the ones where there is some learning (both human and pup) and carefully organized playing. All though they are puppies you want an instructor who is experienced not such instructors that are only play room monitors LOL

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Here’s a video of Rio in the snow! Ahhh I love puppies 🙂

Pat
    Participant

Christine, won’t play, says it’s private.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Pat, I think I unlocked it now so it should hopefully work

Pat
    Participant

Thanks, worked, so cute….

Shauna
    Participant

Congratulations Claudette and welcome Rio! A sweet sweet boy and so adorable. So very happy for you!

Cathy DW
    Participant

Ah Claudette, he’s wonderful and such a good boy. Enjoy!!

Meadow
    Participant

Awwwwwwwwwwww!!!!

~M
    🙂

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Here’s a new Rio picture from Claudette! I’ll let her comment on how life with a new puppy is going 🙂

Attachments:

Meadow
    Participant

*Look* at that *face*!!!!!!!! Oh Claudette, he is too, too cute!!! I hope you can make it onto the site to tell us what “life with Rio” is like, now that he’s settling in a bit more. 🙂

~Maureen

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

Thanks Christine for putting the picture of my little Rio on the site.

He is a good little guy BUT yesterday he was driving me bonkers with those little razor sharp needle teeth. I had forgotten about that part of having a new puppy – he would grab my sleeve or pant leg and not let go. It was pretty difficult getting those clamped down jaws of that little 9 week puppy to let go. I have since gone back and revisited the videos I watch many times before – it appears Rio did not read the same books and watch the same videos I did. Boy, he is a stubborn little guy. My friend has a golden that is 2 1/2 months older than Rio and she told me it definitely is a 9 week old golden thing. She could tell how frustrated I was and she reminded me to Take A Break. Best advice of the night, it put me back on track. This morning is going better. I should be thankful that he likes his kitchen crate and the bedroom crate. Goes in, no problem. He sleeps through the night and wakes up just staring out of the crate at me. I tell him he has to wait until I put my shoes, coat, hat, and scarf on – then I open the crate and he scampers down the hall to the door wall., goes right out and does his business. His potty training is going well and if I could take him out more often (weather is awful) he would really be doing good. I think I was just a little tired last night and became overwhelmed, but I am so glad I have him. He is such a smart little guy, always doing something funny, he is very entertaining. Hope all of your furkids are doing well, I love to see pictures of them too. Thanks for listening to me.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

I remember the land shark phase all too well. Trying to re-direct them to something besides your hands/arms/legs can be a challenge when they’re in holy terror mode. Luckily this stage will pass, hopefully sooner than later for the sake of your limbs!

That’s awesome he sleeps thru the night and is quiet until you wake up! Sounds like he’s got that part down pat which is great for 9 weeks.

Lynne
    Participant

I agree with Christine – sleeping through the night already is something to be proud of. The devil with shark teeth however is just part of the puppy phase, oh lord how I hated that phase!!! I hope for your sake it is short term.

Your friend gave you good advice, take a break when needed. Sometimes when they act up like that all we do is focus on that bad and forget the good (like already sleeping through the night and going right to the door when the kennel door opens). And don’t feel bad whenever you think you’ve had enough of the shannanigans – put him in his kennel so that mom can have a break and regroup. I did this lots and it doesn’t have to be a long break but sometimes they are too much. We’ve all lived what you are going through so we know exactly what you are dealing with. It’s all worth it in the end – a few bad moments here and there! But look at that cute face – he’s adorable!!!!!!

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

Thanks Christine and Lynne for the words of encouragement; they mean a lot to me.

cheslyn1
    Participant

‘I need a break’ are words that still come out of my mouth some days.

He is adorable and you are doing great with him Claudette!

Sue
    Participant

Claudette anymore updates and pictures of little Rio?? Oh I remember those days of being so over whelmed with a certain Nelson that it made me cry. Oh that was yesterday 🙂 kidding…

More pictures of RIO please!!!

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Here’s are the latest Rio pictures. He’s 11 weeks old and cute as a button!!

Claudette is looking for suggestions/recommendations for doggie seat belts since like a typical puppy Rio doesn’t want to stay in the back and tries to climb in the front. We just bought a Sleepypod Clickit Sport harness for Kiwi after reading about it in Whole Dog Journal and so far are very pleased with it. Any other suggestions for her?

Attachments:

GoldenMack
    Participant

He is sooooooooo cute! We loved the video, no snow here though.

Cathy DW
    Participant

Oh Claudette I’m in love. What a handsome boy.

Meadow
    Participant

Hey Claudette! Oh my good grief he is sooooooo darling!!!!!!!!!

Okay – seatbelt. After trying a lot of different methods with Faith, we finally came up with a winner that worked great, allowed her to sit up if she wanted, sleep if she wanted and yet kept her from falling off the back seat and helped with safety as she wasn’t roaming in the car. We bought a car harness from PetSmart. I chose the one with the lambswool inside, to provide her with cushioning, if the car should need to stop fast. I wanted her to have that padding.

I didn’t like the strap for the car that came with it – I found it confusing to set up. So I just bought a big carabiner – about 3″ long – and looped that through the provided ring on Faith’s car harness. Then, we did up the seatbelt in the car, and attached the carabiner to the shoulder strap of the seat belt. Voila! She could sit or lay down comfortably, but was fully restrained and safe at the same time. 🙂

How is everything going with Rio?? Does he still sleep okay? How is potty training? What is his personality like? Do you find him a lot like Jake as a puppy, or is he very different? My husband just came and looked at Rio’s pictures and said, “Awww – look at him! He is ADORABLE! I can just imagine him bounding around!” 🙂

~Maureen

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

more Rio cuteness!! Claudette’s captions for both pictures follow.

Pic 1: I put some straw down in my backyard today – had water and mud at the back – more so than other years. Rio knew where all the mud was located.

Pic 2: This is where he stayed the day I had a stream in the back yard. Not too happy.

Attachments:

Lynne
    Participant

Look at the size of his paws!! He’s like a little bear!!! Looks upset at you for ruining his springtime romp through the water…

laurie
    Participant

Rio looks like he is going to be a big teddy bear when he grows up. He is just adorable.

Pat
    Participant

He is so cute…just watch with the gate..at 8 weeks..Carmel was able to climb over ours (like that one) and escape the kitchen. He does look like a little bear. And I guess the water looked really inviting. Looks like most of your snow is gone?

As for seat belt restraint…I just bought a good harness (actually have too different ones, depending on which vehicle they are going in). Use a coupler (length depends on where you attach it). I attach one end to the loop on the harness and the other end to where you would tether a baby car seat. When they are in the pickup I use the harness with the loop on the back and when in the SUV the easy walk harness with the loop in the front. They still move around but can’t really get over the seat…and in case of an accident would remain in the vehicle.

cheslyn1
    Participant

Oh no! Growing up already. He is so handsome and sounds like a normal golden LOL

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active