Home Forums General Rylee's lip

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

Lisa Schuyler
      Keymaster

Post is coming below.

Lynne
      Participant

So I just noticed this pink spot on Rylee’s upper lip – there seems to be a smaller one about a quarter of an inch away from it too. It doesn’t feel raised and it doesn’t seem to be bothering her near as much as it is me!!!

She did receive her barkbox this week and has been playing with a rubber/plastic ball that came out of it. We took the ball away in case it’s a reaction to it. I will give her the weekend and if there’s no improvement we will be going to the vet. I googled it (I know, I shouldn’t) and it talks about acne, plastic reaction and mass cell cancer…guess which one I’m worried it is 😬 anyone else ever have one of these on their dogs and provide me with some comfort that it’s probably not a big deal?!?!

Lynne
      Participant

thanks Lisa!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Lynne.

Lynne
      Participant

So I just noticed this pink spot on Rylee’s upper lip – there seems to be a smaller one about a quarter of an inch away from it too. It doesn’t feel raised and it doesn’t seem to be bothering her near as much as it is me!!!

She did receive her barkbox this week and has been playing with a rubber/plastic ball that came out of it. We took the ball away in case it’s a reaction to it. I will give her the weekend and if there’s no improvement we will be going to the vet. I googled it (I know, I shouldn’t) and it talks about acne, plastic reaction and mass cell cancer…guess which one I’m worried it is!? Anyone else ever have one of these on their dogs and provide me with some comfort that it’s probably not a big deal?!?!

Lynne
      Participant

Here’s a picture…

Lynne
      Participant

Try number 2 for the picture!!!

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

Mom2Maddie
      Participant

Hmmm, Kiwi had something like that when she was younger. It was diagnosed as canine papilloma and it went away after about a month. Probably not what that is though. I would think maybe some sort of reaction, perhaps to the new rubber ball. Any other changes recently besides the BarkBox toys that could be triggering some sort of reaction? I’m sure it’s nothing but you wouldn’t be a true dog Mom if you didn’t worry.

Lynne
      Participant

Isn’t that the term for acne – papilloma? No other changes and she’s been restricted because of possible allergies.

Pat
      Participant

Lynne, Carmel had some pink spots on her lips a few years ago, and I just looked, not there anymore. I had read somewhere about plastic dishes causing this sort of thing. So we switched to metal, and recently switched from a plastic water dish to ceramic (dogs won’t drink from a metal bowl-tried that when my daughters dogs where here as we needed a very large bowl), both her lips are nice and black again. I would still have the vet check it out…is it raised or flat?

Meadow
      Participant

With it kind of in her fur like that, it’s hard to see well. Is it raised? Itchy?

Faith has a spot on her lip (I could post a picture, Lynne, if you’d like – let me know) that is pink and flat. It used to be a black skin tag, and when that disappeared, what was left was a very similar pink spot as what Rylee seems to have.

Could she have bitten her lip while playing? Maybe causing irritation that then became that pink spot? We wondered if maybe my little Haven bit her lip there when they were play-fighting, but we’re not sure. However, it’s been over a year, and she still has a perfectly round little pink spot.

~Maureen

Lynne
      Participant

It’s flat and doesn’t seem to bug her. She already did the allergy to plastic thing so her bowls are metal. Sure, Maureen if you could post the picture. I just checked it again and it’s still there so I will call the vet and make an appointment. It’s probably nothing but I’d hate for my vet to go a few weeks without me giving her money!!!! Lol

I will bring her barkbox ball with me – it’s a rubber ball but smells like spearmint. Very weird and likely the cause if it’s an irritation. Does anyone else get the barkbox? Just wondering if anyone else noticed the smell in the ball?

Thanks for the help and reassurance – I will let you know what the vet says!

Shauna
        Participant

I got a barkbox. Had a blue bodybuilder type ball in it with feet. I detect a hint of a mint smell. Brody had it but after he managed to chew a chunk off of it I have put it away. No issues on his mouth that I see, not that he’ll sit still that long…

Mom2Maddie
      Participant

I think it’s probably some sort of irritation but I know it will be good to have the vet’s opinion. Let us know!

Meadow
      Participant

Okay, this is on Faith’s lip where there is no fur at all, so you can see it (fairly) well. Is this the same as Rylee? Or no?

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

Meadow
      Participant

I will be very curious to see what your vet says. This line cracked me up: “…but Iā€™d hate for my vet to go a few weeks without me giving her money!!!!”

~Maureen

Lynne
      Participant

Yeah Maureen – it looks very similar to what Rylee has but Rylee’s is on the front of her lip under her nose. I’m just worried about the economy so I get some money and just pass it along (that’s how it feels most of the time anyway)!!!!

Shauna, it sounds like we got slightly different toys but when I could smell the mint I wondered if that would cause an irritation. Thanks for checking your guys out for me! Well, as much as you could check on Brody on the two seconds he sat still!!!! Lol

I will let you know what the vet says.

Lynne
      Participant

Rylee and I went to the vet after work tonight and it’s just pigmentation. She now has four spots but nothing is raised. Vet told me to watch them and if they start to raise – take her back in. She also thought maybe the ball caused an irritation so she thought we should throw it out and I agreed. She took the ball and threw it in her garbage can. Rylee’s ears perked up and eyes got sad and she just stared at the vet. Vet felt bad and took it out and told me to put it away for now and if lips get back to normal we can try giving the ball back. She said wow she gets upset when you throw a toy out…so I told her that explains why our house looks like the dog toy aisle!!!!

Bottom line is there’s nothing to worry about. Thanks for all the help along the way!

Meadow
      Participant

Excellent news!!

That made *me* sad about the vet throwing out her toy! Awwwww… that was so sensitive of the vet to give it back to you for now, lol.

~Maureen

Mom2Maddie
      Participant

Well that’s good news! I’m glad to hear the ball was rescued and lives to perhaps play another day with Rylee šŸ™‚

Pat
      Participant

Glad to hear it is nothing serious…Vet should know not to throw away a golden’s toy while they are watching…I always have to be sneaky if I throw any of Carmel’s things away. LOL

Sue
      Participant

Lynne if it’s a mass cell tumor it will be slightly raised usually. The one that Nelson had a few years back was slightly raised above the skin and the size on an eraser on the end of a pencil. His was a grade 1 and thankfully he hasn’t had another. Best always to get it checked out.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active