Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

Setback for Codi

Home Forums Health Setback for Codi

This topic contains 85 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Shauna 5 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Shauna
    Participant

Codi has suffered a setback. After two weeks of improvement, the swelling returned in full force overnight. A trip to the vet resulted in another ultrasound and then minor surgery to insert a drain.

They have sent samples to the lab for testing. Should have the results sometime Wednesday for the hematology and Thursday or Friday for cytology.

Please keep the power of the paw coming.

I’ll update as soon as I know more.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Oh no I’m so sorry Codi had a set back. Will be sending tons of positive thoughts Codi’s way and hoping for a good report back from the vet. Poor boy that looks sore.

Pat
    Participant

Shauna…so sorry to hear, that Codi is not well. sending positive thoughts and the Power of the Paws your way, hoping for good news from the Vet. I agree Christine he sure looks sore and unhappy.

Lynne
    Participant

Sorry to hear that Shauna. Poor guy looks like he’s had a rough day. We are sending power of the paw to him and hoping for good results.

Please give him a hug from us.

Take care and keep us posted…

Nelson
    Participant

Oh poor Codi…Super Power of the Paw from us. We sure hope he feels better soon. Big hugs to him

Paulette
    Participant

Power of the Paw coming from our house to yours times three! My thoughts and prayers will be with you & Codi.

Jazz, Emma & Sophia
    Paulette

3Goldens
    Participant

Oh no…I am very sorry to hear Codi has had a setback…I know how worried you must be Shauna. Sending Power of the Paw to Codi and hugs to you…

cheslyn1
    Participant

Poor baby! So sorry to hear this! Prayers and power of the paw to you all.

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

I am so sorry, it makes me so sad to hear this. I know how worried you must be. I am sending positive thoughts and prayers to you and Codi. He looks so sad with that awful cone on his head, but it is for the best, don’t want him scratching at the incision. Please give him a great big hug from me.

laurie
    Participant

So sorry to hear of the set back for Codi Ripley and I send tons of power of the paws to you and Codi. Positive thoughts until you hear from the vet. We will be checking in to see what you have posted on Codi’s update.

goldengirl
    Participant

Sorry to hear about Codi and we are sending power of the paws to you. Hope Codi recovers soon and please keep us updated. {{HUGS}}

Shauna
    Participant

No news yet. It has been a stressful couple days.
    Codi has not recovered well from the anesthetic. As soon as I got him in the door Monday night he laid down right at the door sill. There was no getting him up. He stayed like that overnight and into the next day, finally at 3pm Tuesday I forced him up. I had to lift him up, he could barely move. For the rest of the day/night I got him up every couple hours having to lift him each time. He was very stiff and unsteady. His life jacket came in handy as I had to use it to lift him up the stairs after he went outside. Today he is getting up on his own but is still unsteady and if Bandit or Tanner bump him he tends to go down.
    The good news is he is eating and drinking and eliminating very well.
    I sit impatiently waiting for results 🙁

Pat
    Participant

Been watching for news…sorry he is not recovering very quick. But good that he is eating and eliminating OK. Continue to send the Power of the Paw and good thoughts your way. Lots of Hugs your way.

Lynne
    Participant

Oh I’ve been thinking about you guys all day wondering if you had any results…

That’s too bad that the anesthetic has affected him like that – I guess dogs are like humans where their tolerance for drugs varies. Good that he’s eating and drinking!

Could it be depression from the cone and the drainage tube making him upset and just wanting to lay down and do nothing?

Sounds like he’s got Mom there to take good care of him. Hugs to you and Codi and I hope you get good results soon so that you can focus on getting him back on track…

laurie
    Participant

Awww the poor baby and poor you for having to have to wait so long for results, sending double power of the paws. Give Codi a scratch behind the ear from us.

Shauna
    Participant

His cats are taking good care of him.

Attachments:

Cathy DW
    Participant

Power of the Paw for Codi. Here’s hoping for pawsitive news and that Codi is on the mend soon.

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

Shauna

Just give that beautiful boy lots of hugs and kisses. I will pray for good news, it is so difficult waiting for the vet to call.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

How sweet that his cats are taking care of him. Sending continued good thoughts for Codi.

Shauna
    Participant

We have received some unsettling results. From the biopsy they did the tissue was to dead to indicate anything. They also did a fine needle aspirate, this test result is confusing. They have indicated large granule lymphoma, which sort of confounded my vet. He consulted with a trusted vet in Calgary with the results and wants to do a biopsy on another nodule. If it is large granule lymphoma it usually is a gastro intestinal lymphoma. If it’s a lymphoma, we don’t want it to be that one. So there are different possible scenarios, the sample was too small and the diagnosis was incorrect, the diagnosis is correct or another scenario altogether. Who knows at this point. Sigh…

We take him Monday for the biopsy. The vet has suggest we consider giving him a dose of chemo at this time too.

Darren and I had discussed treatment options when the lump first appeared weeks ago. We decided we would try chemo as the success rate for lymphoma in dogs is very good with a good quality of life. Not a cure but it can grant remission of a year or longer. If his quality of life diminished in anyway on the chemo we would stop.

If it is large granule lymphoma, it doesn’t respond as well to the chemo.

Hoping and praying for a Christmas miracle, well Ukrainian Christmas miracle since we won’t have the second biopsy results until the 27th at the earliest.

Thank you all so much for the prayers and support. You have no idea how much it means to us.

Attachments:

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

Shauna,

It made so sad to read your post, I am praying for all of you. Codi is such a beautiful boy. I will be praying for that Christmas miracle.

cheslyn1
    Participant

We will just extend Christmas and its miracles to the 27th then!

I so hate confusing results —power of the paws all concentrated your way.

Codi looks good – makes any animal or human feel good when surrounded by family even if they are cats. (Harley said that last part 🙂 )

laurie
    Participant

POWER OF THE PAWS until you hear the results on the 27th or whenever you hear back form the vet. Hope you all have a safe and Merry Christmas. Will be thinking of Codi right through. Love the cats sleeping with him.

Pat
    Participant

Shauna,
    Hoping for a Christmas Miracle…continue to send positive thought your way and Power of the Paws.
    Just wondering where the samples were sent to be analysed?

Hopefully the Chemo will not make him sick so that Codi and the rest of you will have a safe and Merry Christmas.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Will certainly be thinking of you all, especially Codi over Christmas and hoping you get some concrete answers and your Christmas miracle.

I’ll pm you my phone number in case there’s any way I can help…I can come sit with your other 2 while you’re at the vet with Codi on Monday or just lend an ear if you want to talk.

Nelson
    Participant

Shauna I’m so sorry to hear that news. Doing research on Boobers nasal cancer I can across a supplement called Avemar or the pet version Immunity4Pets. It is a fermented wheat germ supplement made in Hungary. There has been much research done on it and its positive effects with both human and animal cancers. I know Boober would not be here today if I was not using this as we were given 3-6 months. I have seen dramatic changes in her using this. Her nasal cancer symptoms are gone, her heavy breathing is gone and also the limp that she had for 2+ years.
    You can find info at immunity4pets.com and there is also an Avemar yahoo group for people with dogs with cancer. Studies have shown positive results using this with dogs with lymphoma, mast cell rumors and many others and breast cancer in people.

You can only buy it from the webpage above as Barbara imports it from Hungary.

My friends dog was just diagnosed with muscular hemangio sarcoma and she has just started to use it. I also have Nelson on it as a preventative because of the mast cell tumor he previously had.

Lynne
    Participant

Sorry to hear that news Shauna – you wait so long for results and then it’s still not clear, very frustrating. Good luck to Codi on Monday – hoping everything goes okay.

We are praying for good results and continue to send power of the paw!

goldengirl
    Participant

Sorry to hear the news….it must be so frustrating not knowing for sure what is going on with Codi. We are hoping for a Christmas miracle for you and Codi. Best of luck. Power of the Paw!

Shauna
    Participant

Thanks everyone. I have jumped on Sue’s recommendation and placed an order. I know she does so much research into these things. Darren and I don’t like the idea of Chemo and like the idea of something more natural. We will proceed with the biopsy Monday but will forego the Chemo. I am also thinking of switching to raw diet. We do feed a high quality no-grain kibble supplemented with grain free canned but i’m sure raw can’t hurt.
    Still hoping the original biopsy was off the mark, but the changes we will make won’t hurt either. Supplements and new diets for all in this household.

Pat – I believe the samples where sent to Ontario.

Thanks Christine for the offer. Darren will be home tonight for the holidays so we have the appointment covered. I’ll message you soon.

Now off to decorate for Xmas, Codi does love this time of year and I have been putting off doing anything Christmas besides cards and shopping.

Nelson
    Participant

Shauna it’s not recommended to put a dog that has cancer on a raw diet. To many chances of things going wrong as their immune system is already down. I have Boober still on the Orijen food.
    I would also join the Yahoo group for Avemar. You can ask lots if questions there also as people on there are very knowledgable.
    I also have Boober on Cell Forte IP-6 & Inositol. This supplement is also used in prevention of cancer and with cancer. It promotes natural killer cell activity. It works in attacking cancer cells. Recommended dosage I found on the Internet is 8 grams/day for cancer treatment, 4 grams/day for risk of cancer and 1-2 grams daily for prevention. Nelson and I are also taking this. It should be taken on an empty stomach before bed.
    If u need anything email me.

Paulette
    Participant

Shauna, you won’t be sorry by switching to feeding raw. I feed my “Pak” Origen dog kibble in the morning and raw for the evening meal. I fed them only raw for a few months, realized that with working full time, it was becoming a chore, and too expensive for my budget. As soon as I switched them over you could see the difference in the dogs, they were more satisfied and eager to check out their bowls. Also, this way I don’t worry that they are getting the nutrients that they need. They love their raw bones!
    Sending “Power of the Paw” and
    Wishing you a Merry Christmas.
    Paulette
    Emma, Sophia & Jazz

Nelson
    Participant

Shauna raw is fine if your dog doesn’t have cancer but you shouldn’t feed raw if it does. That’s the conclusion I’ve come to after doing a ton of research but in the end its your decision.

Lynne
    Participant

Hey Shauna just wondering how Codi made out yesterday? Still keeping you guys in our thoughts…

I’m assuming that for the biopsy he had to be sedated? If so, how is he reacting this time around? At least you have Darren home to help lift him and haul him around if need be.

Good luck with everything and try and enjoy your Christmas – make it a good one for Codi (seeing as he loves this holiday). Merry Christmas to you!

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Also checking in for a Codi update…I know it’s a busy couple days ahead but post when you can, we are thinking of you all.

Lynne
    Participant

Thanks for the update Shauna. I did read your post between meals and visiting just didn’t have time to reply. I hope you had a Merry Christmas and wish you luck if you get the results tomorrow.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

good to hear Codi tolerated the sedation better this time and hope the same goes with the chemo. Continuing to send good thoughts your way.

Pat
    Participant

Thinking of you today and keeping paws crossed for good news..

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

I hope Codi does well with his treatment and continues to be himself. Sending positive thoughts and prayers to all of you.

Shauna
    Participant

We did not get anymore definitive results today but a bit of encouraging new. Another pair of eyes, thanks to a vet in Calgary feels we are dealing with lymphoma but not large granular lymphoma. This is good news in the sense that large granular does not respond as well to chemo and the chemo would have to be more intense.
    He seems to have handled the chemo very well and mooched his way through three Christmas dinners. He is still the same Codi and that in itself is a Christmas miracle.
    We hope everyone had a good Christmas, and Santa Paws was good to all the fur kids.

Lynne
    Participant

That’s great news Shauna – I’m glad he was his old self for Christmas. And the second opinion sounds promising – I’d rather hear that it’s not lymphoma at all but if it has to be one…

Enjoy the rest of the holidays and keep us posted!

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Happy to hear that Codi is feeling like himself and enjoyed his Christmas dinners.

Hoping the plan of action in place can help Codi to fight this lymphoma for a very long time. How frequently does he go for chemo?

Shauna
      Participant

Looks Like Chemo will be weekly. I believe they will be following the Wisconsin protocol, unless the biopsy determines otherwise. This protocol involves a different series of drugs each week. Some by injection, intervenes or pill form.

laurie
    Participant

It’s nice that Codi was feeling well enough to mooch through 3 dinners. Good luck with the rest of his recovery. Still sending power of the paw.

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

Praying that Codi tolerates the chemo well, and it kicks that cancers butt. Feel better beautiful Codi. Hugs to all of you.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Wishing Codi well with his treatment plan. Sending lots of positive thoughts

cheslyn1
    Participant

It must feel a little better having a plan…prayers to you all. I agree with Claudette – Codi kick that cancers butt!

goldengirl
    Participant

Thinking of you and hoping Codi is cancer free very soon!

Pat
    Participant

Our thought are with Codi and the rest of his pack. Hoping he can beat this cancer.
    So glad he had a good Christmas…Carmel and Cheyanne are sending tail wags his way.

3Goldens
    Participant

I have been following your posts Shauna, I’m sorry I haven’t posted before this.

Having so recently lost Shiloh to lymphoma, this just makes me so sad. By the time any symptoms showed in Shiloh, the cancer was far to advanced for us to have any options but to keep her as comfortable as we could and give her the best quality of life she was able to have. It had spread to her bowels, so heartbreaking for me still.

We are sending the power of the paw to Codi, and hoping for good results with the treatment plan. Keeping you both in our thoughts & prayers.

Shauna
    Participant

Codi continues to confuse the vets and pathologists. The second biopsy came back with strange results again. Lymphoma usually only has one size of cells. His results are showing medium and large cells. Due to the mixed population they want to do a amino chem test which stains the cells to help further define them. The pathologist is 95% sure we are dealing with lymphoma but we do not want to subject him to chemotherapy without a definite answer. So more waiting. Hopefully answers come tomorrow since he is due for his next round.
    The great news is he is looking great and is showing no signs of illness. All the swelling is gone and if it wasn’t for the shaved areas you would never know anything had been/is wrong.

Hopefully more news tomorrow. Thanks again for all the good wishes and prayers!

cheslyn1
    Participant

So glad he is doing great, not so glad with the confusion.

goldengirl
    Participant

Thinking of you and hoping Codi is continuing to do well.

laurie
    Participant

Sending more power of the paws to Codi and hopefully you get some much needed answers.

Pat
    Participant

Continuing to send the power of the paws and pawsitive thoughts your way. Glad he’e not showing any signs of being sick. Hopefully will get some answers soon.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Frustrating that you can’t get clear, definitive answers on exactly what you’re dealing with, but the fact he’s feeling well is good news.

Lynne
    Participant

Good news on how he’s feeling and we hope they can figure things out soon for you guys…

Shauna
    Participant

Still no results from the last test, hopefully this next week. Codi’s white cell count was to low on Friday so no chemo. He continues to do great, same old Codi, so for that I am so very grateful.

Mom2Maddie
      Participant

Hope you get the results you’re waiting on soon. I’m glad Codi is feeling good.

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

Give that beautiful boy lots of loving.

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

Been thinking of you, how is Codi today?

Shauna
    Participant

Codi was able to have chemo on Friday. His blood counts where very good. It is officially lymphoma, it is presenting a bit different than most. His treatment will remain the same.
    For chemo he receives treatments of 4 weeks, then a week off and repeat. Week one is an injection into the vein. Week two is oral pills, week three is same as week one and week four is an intervenes injection that takes the longest. Each day he gets prednisone.
    Each trip includes a blood chemistry to determine if his cell count is high enough to receive the treatment. He likes going to the vet and they love him there.
    I have him on the supplements Sue suggested and have modified his diet over to very high protein, eliminating as many grains as possible.
    He is doing great, no negative affects at all!

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

So glad that Codi is feeling well and isn’t experiencing any side effects from the treatment.

cheslyn1
    Participant

So glad no side effects from the treatments and that Codi loves the vet. If he is happy I bet it makes it easier!

Nelson
    Participant

We are so glad to hear that Codi is doing so well. Power of the Paw from us for continued good health.
    Sue, Boober and Nelson

Pat
    Participant

Glad to hear Codi is weathering the chemo well. Continuing to send positive thoughts your way and the Power of the Paws.

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

So happy to hear Codi as doing so well, you stay strong Codi. It is so good that he loves going to the vet, that will make it a lot easier for you and Codi. Just keep giving him lots of loving, give him a scratch behind the ears for me. Hugs.

Lynne
    Participant

Glad to hear he’s doing great! We continue to think of you guys and send power of the paw.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Checking in to see how Codi is doing?

Shauna
    Participant

Codi is doing great. We were at the vet today and his blood counts were very good. It was decided to hold off on chemo and deal with another issue he has had since before Christmas. Somehow the tip of his tail was injured. The circulation to the end was cut off and although we dressed it with wound cream, it died. It needed to be removed but the vets didn’t want to do it while he was immuno suppressed. So today was the day to deal with it.

More sedation, but it went very well and looks much better. He is such a trooper. It was close to breaking off and would have exposed cartilage and the risk of infection would be too great.

You would think with everything that happens to him at the vet he wouldn’t be too excited to go there, but he loves going there.

The one side effect that he has been suffering from since the original surgery has been muscle atrophy in his hind legs. We are going to take him swimming to help build up his muscles. Today was to be his first time. He really loves swimming and I was very excited to take him. Hopefully he heals well and we can get to the pool next week. I am considering acupuncture if the swimming doesn’t provide enough muscle stimulation.

I believe all the prayers and well wishes, along with the supplements we have been giving him are really helping. He has not had a single side effect from the chemo either. We are truly blessed.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Thanks for the update. Hopefully his tail heals well and I think the swimming will be good for him. Kiwi goes every 2 weeks for fitness swims and she just trembles with excitement when we walk in the door. The hydrotherapist we get when we go on Saturdays is Kaitlyn and she’s so good with the dogs. Let us know how he does with his swim, I’m sure he’ll really enjoy it and it will be beneficial for him.

sending hugs for all 3 of your boys.

Pat
    Participant

Glad to hear he is holding his own. Hopefully the swimming will help with the atrophy in his legs. Carmel is so jealous that both Codi and Kiwi get to go swimming in the winter.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

It’s been a couple weeks so just wanted to check in and see how Codi is doing?

Lynne
    Participant

Poor guy has been dealing with a lot…still sending positive thoughts your way.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

apparently I just missed you at swimming 2 weeks ago and then I ran into Nancy on Saturday when we were there again who said she saw you and Codi. Hoping that things are going well with your boy. Update us when you can.

Shauna
    Participant

Codi is doing very well. Six more chemo treatments left. He will be done by his 11th birthday! He’s going swimming every week which he absolutely loves. It makes me so happy to see him swimming. Fridays are Codi days. There’s the vet visit in the morning where he is fawned all over, then the afternoon is swimming with a special treat for him on the way home (cheese burger).
    I’m so thankful how good everything has been going with his treatments. Now if spring would just get here already.

Pat
    Participant

So happy to hear Codi is doing so well, Sounds like his fridays are really fun especially swimming and the cheeseburger. Yes it would be nice if spring would get here finally, noticed the snow is slowly disappearing, which is probably a good thing. Give Codi a hug from us.

Cathy DW
    Participant

Special boys deserve special days. I’m jealous. I’d like to go swimming an have a cheeseburger too Codi. Glad to hear that he is continuing to stay well. This year will be an extra special birthday indeed.

Lynne
    Participant

Great news Shauna!! Fridays sound fun with swimming and cheeseburgers! Do you take him to the same pool that Kiwi goes to? I’m gonna have to call and make an appointment – doesn’t look like Rylee will be swimming anytime soon…

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

What a great update on Codi! So glad he enjoys his weekly swimming sessions and cheeseburger treat afterward. Keep it up Codi!! What date is his birthday?

Not to highjack Codi’s thread but Lynne you should check out the swimming pool. There’s a form that needs to be filled out by your vet before she can go. Check out their website or give them a call I’m sure Rylee would be one happy girl if you did :).

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Shauna – Sue is having trouble posting but she did ask me to tell you that she’s so glad to hear that Codi is doing so well.

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

Shauna, I am so happy to hear how well Codi is doing. Swimming, cheese burgers, I am sure he doesn’t even know he is ill. It must make you feel so glad he is handling his treatments so well. Sending hugs.

Shauna
    Participant

Codi’s birthday is May 20th and it’s going be a great one! To bad it can’t be a pool party with all his golden friends.
    Lynne I do take him to the same pool as Kiwi. I totally recommend it. At some point I want to see about getting Bandit and Tanner in too. Just need to get the vet authorizations done.
    Codi does love his brothers but I think one of the things he really enjoys is not having to share/compete with them on his Fridays. He gets all the attention for most of the day. They do get a cheeseburger to share when we get home though

laurie
    Participant

What great news for Codi. Fridays sound so special and a lot more exciting then mine. I am not going to tell Ripley about the cheeseburger but I am going tell him how Codi is doing and how he gets to go swimming, Ripley will be so happy for Codi.

Pat
    Participant

How is Codi doing? Been trying to keep up with the posts…but just realized how far behind I am.

Shauna
    Participant

Thanks for checking in Pat. Codi is hanging in there. 2 more treatments left, thank goodness. This past two weeks I have really noticed a decrease in his mobility and energy.
    He has been licking his legs so I’m sure he is in pain and he cannot handle going up any stairs anymore. At 90+ pounds this is a challenge for me. I bought a ramp but Mister Stubborn will have nothing to do with it. Prefers mom to carry him. Never thought I’d be able to lift him but my mommy strength has kicked in.
    The vet is testing his liver and kidney functions and if they are okay we will start him on Metacam. I’m also going to ask for a referral to an acupuncturist.
    The good news is his blood counts are great and he is seeming happy. I hope his energy and mobility bounce back once we are no longer putting these toxins in him. I must also remember he is an old man, with his 11th birthday just around the corner.

Shauna
    Participant

So Codi had the biopsy and was sedated for it. Luckily it was much easier than last time with him only tired last night. He’s back to himself today.

We won’t have any results until at least Friday.

We did decided to begin chemo based in how fast lymphoma progresses. He had his first treatment yesterday. We still hope for a miracle but needed to be realistic. As long as he’s still Codi we will continue. My hope is to get him into remission and then switch over to natural supplements to keep him in remission as long as possible.

A very merry Christmas to everyone and their fur kids.

Attachments:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active