Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

Shedding!

Home Forums General Shedding!

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

Claudette Kinkade
      Participant

Jake is shedding a lot the last week and I don’t remember if the shedding happened last year at this time also. He has such a thick coat I would have thought the shedding would have taken place a little earlier this summer. Any one have a shedding golden?

Mom2Maddie
      Participant

Kiwi is blowing her coat right now. Don’t have last year to compare too since she we didn’t bring her home till the end of September.

Cathy DW
      Participant

More shedding here than usual at this time of year, times two.

3Goldens
      Participant

Oh yes! I don’t know if it’s because it’s been so hot this summer, but all 3 of mine are shedding more than usual. I’m amazed at the amount of fur that comes out when I brush them! So yes, more shedding here times 3 :grumpy:

cheslyn1
      Participant

Yes, Maci has an extra fluffy butt right now. Our husky did not blow her coat until Xmas…very nice timing with guests coming through!

Sue
      Participant

I told Nelson under no uncertain terms was he allowed to shed while the house is up for sale πŸ™‚ that goes for Boober also… Someone buy that dam house!!!! I think it’s due to the hot weather as honestly in 11 years I’ve never seen Boober shed this much. I could have made another dog with all the hair.

I.Heart.My.Golden
      Participant

Otis has been really good actually, but I usually bathe him like once every 3 weeks (he gets dirty playing at daycare, and swims a lot), and really scrub him down when he’s in the tub, I find that and the heavy high powered blow dryer takes out his coat really nicely! Other than his 3 weeks at the begging of summer of crazy shedding he’s been really manageable! I feel for you!

goldengirl
      Participant

Is Murphy the only goldie that sheds 365 days a year? I am not kidding…she sheds like crazy ALL the time. My floors are always hairy, even a few minutes after vacuuming. When I take her outside to brush her it looks an animal exploded in our yard with the amount of fur that comes out of her, she should be bald by now but she still has a lot of fur. I do take her for bathing and grooming every 4-6 weeks but it doesn’t really slow her shedding. I thought all goldies shed like her.

I.Heart.My.Golden
      Participant

I find there are different coat types of Goldens. Where as the really downy (lots of super soft fluffy stuff), or super curly coat really shed, also mat easily and stay wet forever!!!. Otis has a very thick, but straight coat, it’s also a medium length(not super long like some Golden’s I’ve seen), he shakes and majority of his body (other than his mane) is dry very quickly. There are a few different “Styles” I’ve noticed, and I wonder if that has anything to do with shedding???? I’m not pro, but its just working at the kennel (and as a technician for 6 years) I’ve met my fair share of Goldens πŸ™‚ and its what I’ve observed.

goldengirl
      Participant

Murphy does have a curly coat with a lot of downy undercoat so I guess she is one of the super shedders. Her coat does not dry for a long time when she gets wet either. All that said, she is such an amazing dog that we don’t mind that her hair is everywhere. LOL!

Meadow
      Participant

@goldengirl 62202 wrote:

Is Murphy the only goldie that sheds 365 days a year? I am not kidding…she sheds like crazy ALL the time. My floors are always hairy, even a few minutes after vacuuming. When I take her outside to brush her it looks an animal exploded in our yard with the amount of fur that comes out of her, she should be bald by now but she still has a lot of fur. I do take her for bathing and grooming every 4-6 weeks but it doesn’t really slow her shedding. I thought all goldies shed like her.

Thank you, Linda, because YES – Faith sheds every minute of every day. There is no difference, year round. If I pet her – even a few strokes, her fur is tangled in my fingers! I dust-bust and 10 minutes later, there are new tumbleweeds gathering! I just thought that’s what Goldens must be like, lol.

~Maureen

3Goldens
      Participant

@goldengirl 62202 wrote:

Mine shed all year long, I assumed this was normal…they are shedding more than normal this summer, but they do shed all year long. Like Maureen said, If I scratch their back, my hand comes out full of fur, even if I have just brushed them. Can you imagine the workout my vacuum gets with 3?

I’ve often said Goldens shed twice a year

the first six months, and the last six months!

Sue
      Participant

Another all year long with shedding dogs…honestly I doubt there are many dogs that don’t shed all year long in some respect unless they are a Mexican Hairless or a poodle type.

cheslyn1
      Participant

Maci has no coat compared to Harley and she is always shedding too. It really shocked me actually the amount of shedding. Being dogs I knew the vaccuum would be used but the husky was way easier to handle.

Tela would shed big clumps of hair a couple times a year…nice big clumps, not these individual hairs that fall out 1 every second to make golden bunnies so big I get freaked when they follow me πŸ™‚

scot girl
      Participant

Zeus never really shed until last week. We had a lab before and he seemed to shed all year long, since we brought Zeus home a couple of years ago there has been hardly any hair around the house but last week it started and is still going strong, touch him and you are hairy and yes the fluff bunnies are everywhere. Oh the Joys :dog:

Claudette Kinkade
      Participant

Jake does shed all year long but it is exceptionally noticeable now. He has little tucks of hair that come out and I find them on the carpet. He has a dense, thick, coat with mostly straight hair. My vacuum gets a good work out also, but doesn’t the carpet look nice after we vacuum (for about 15 minutes).

laurie
      Participant

Ripley and Chet year round also. Right now though Chet is pretty good because we had him shaved and Ripley went to the groomers for a cut so for a couple of weeks its not too bad but there is always hair.

Pat
      Participant

My two have been shedding a lot more than usual, for this time of year. I just put it down to the stress in the house, with house hunting and gettting ready to sell our home. But if our Goldens are maybe its the weather changes.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active