Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

Socialization

Home Forums Training Socialization

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rafree1 7 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Rafree1
    Participant

Should I wait a week or so before taking my puppy on several outtings? I want to not over whelm but, I also want to have a dog that is used to lots of different situations, people, places and things so don’t want to wait too long before starting to take the puppy out. Having always had rescues most of them were well socialized before getting them. Well, except the doxies didn’t like other dogs and I want to avoid that too so we’ll be going to plenty of puppy classes and I HOPE to walk my pup with the other lady who has a Golden on my street.

cheslyn1
    Participant

It is kind of a know your dog kind of thing…if pup is having trouble getting used to new home, family, inside noises, do not rush outside. Remember to keep outings short…although the puppy energy will make you think it can go for hours LOL

I have a friend with a new aussie pup and she is recording what,where, who the puppy meet, touched, etc – and in only 5 minutes that can be tons of new things to a little new pup! I would try and walk during non-busy times…I have hit a corner walking when Harley was a 10 week pup and it happened that 4 other dogs and their owners reached there the same time. It can be fun or a big mess—I try to avoid messes.

Rafree1
    Participant

@cheslyn1 61074 wrote:

It is kind of a know your dog kind of thing…if pup is having trouble getting used to new home, family, inside noises, do not rush outside. Remember to keep outings short…although the puppy energy will make you think it can go for hours LOL

I have a friend with a new aussie pup and she is recording what,where, who the puppy meet, touched, etc – and in only 5 minutes that can be tons of new things to a little new pup! I would try and walk during non-busy times…I have hit a corner walking when Harley was a 10 week pup and it happened that 4 other dogs and their owners reached there the same time. It can be fun or a big mess—I try to avoid messes.

Thanks that’s good advice. I will just take my cues from the puppy. They are all different after all.

Sue
    Participant

I’m so confused…do you have a puppy already? I thought you were looking at different breeders? I must be out of the loop after reading all the messages. Also just a note on golden sizes, I’ve had big and now smaller and sometimes bigger isn’t always better. Regardless of size and color you want one with great tempermant and all clearances going back in the pedigree. If I had a chance at an Arcane golden I’d be jumping at it.

cheslyn1
    Participant

No puppy yet. She is being very organized and preparing for everything LOL

Sue
    Participant

I thought maybe I missed the arrival of the new puppy πŸ™‚ Then again there would be pictures wouldn’t there πŸ™‚ Good to be organized.

Rafree1
    Participant

No, Sue you haven’t missed a thing. I just know getting certified for St. John’s Ambulance Therapy work will be a lot of work and am nervous. I want them to accept my dog and they don’t “pass” everybody so yeah, I’m starting to gather up as much info as I can early. I’ve asked my niece who is a vet emergency nurse a million and one questions about this. haha. She’s been very patient with me.

Scott_Lee
    Participant

I may be a little late, but don’t go to public places until your puppy has had his 2nd round of vaccinations. Stay in trusted yards til then πŸ™‚

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active