Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

The scale said WHAT?!?!?

Home Forums General The scale said WHAT?!?!?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Sue 4 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Lynne
    Participant

Well we took Rylee to the vet yesterday as we are pretty sure she’s allergic to something as she’s constantly chewing on her paws and the inside of her pads get really red. We wanted to rule out yeast infection and our vet is off to a conference all next week so we thought we would deal with it yesterday.

First things first, Rylee hadn’t been there since the summer so they took her weight. Last time she weighed 82 pounds and we were told no more. Well our little Rylee weighed in at 93 pounds. Needless to say we got a lecture!! I know other Goldens on here have struggled with weight issues in the past so I’m sure some of them can sympathize with us!! She hasn’t been running at all this winter because as other Manitobans know we had a nice layer of rain that covered our snow so even walking around the yard to do her business and she’s slipping and sliding all over the place…I just didn’t think she had crept up so much. I feel like a horrible, horrible mom.

Vet figures allergies too so we had the option of cutting out treats or going whole hog and no treats and hypo allergenic food. We went whole hog right away to get her feeling less itchy as soon as possible. And then we will slowly introduce her food with hopes it wasn’t that.

So strictly veggies like bean sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli for treats only. She’s already acting like she’s starving and this only began 12 hours ago!!!!

Sue
    Participant

93 pounds!!!!! Riley you’ve been living the good life 🙂 Nelson was up 3 pounds at the Vet to 63 pounds and I was freaking about his weight gain. I’ve cut his food back from 3/4 cup in the am to 1/2 cup and the same for the evening so he get’s one cup of dry food only. Some sardines, veggies and the odd bit of chicken because Boober get’s it. It’s not like we don’t go out in the winter for exercise either. And yes he acts like he’s starving also. I also give abit of pumpkin at each meal as it’s supposed to make them feel fuller…especially when your feeding a carb free diet.

Pat
    Participant

Goodness Riley get some exercise….BOL. Carmel feels for you and the diet…and isn’t laughing too hard…she has her appointment on the 20th and hopefully she is down some weight and not up like she usually is in winter..as she is on a low calorie food. We cut back on the treats as well…and most days does get some pumpkin puree on her food. They both are actually doing really well on this food. Will probably keep them on it now unless problems develop as they calorie count is good and they can have more once their weight is stable.

Also Riley counter surfing isn’t allowed…ask Carmel, she tries to do it often and believe her, being put in a down stay when there is so much tempting food around is a lot of fun!

Isn’t it funny how you really don’t notice the weight gain on them….she isn’t the biggest of girls but 93 is a lot. I don’t think Carmel has ever been that heavy, know she hit 90 once.

Don’t feel too bad Lynne, hard to resist those starving brown eyes, when they look at you and say I’m sooooo hungry let me have some of what you are eating..LOL

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Uh oh, the dreaded diet. Good luck with the starving eyes looking at you, they do a good job at making us feel guilty don’t they! If they could talk…I’m soooo hungry, please feed me, I haven’t eaten in days. Hope the change in food helps the allergy issue. Maybe Rylee should take up swimming as a winter activity, Kiwi says she knows of a great place 😉

Meadow
    Participant

If only they didn’t love to eat soooooo much, eh?! It’s hard not to share. BTDT. I feed Faith 1.5 cups of kibble in the morning, and 1 cup in the evening. That cut (from 3 cups a day to 2.5) made a world of difference in Faith, and brought her down from 73 lbs to 63 lbs.

It’s what my vet calls “winter weight”. Not your fault with the horrible conditions you face where you live. Their walks keep them trim and without them, they gain. Once you can walk her again, and like you say, make treats a little less calorie rich, she’ll be fine.

I’m sorry about her allergies! Faith is the SAME way! She was itching, biting and licking hot spots all over her feet and legs, about a year ago. It was antibiotics again and again, and repeated vet visits… till one vet told us how common ‘chicken’ is as an allergen. I told her that we did suspect chicken, but that I only give her a bit now and then. The vet said, “If she is allergic to chicken, and you give her an amount the size of a nickel, it would cause her severe itching and problems for THREE WEEKS!” Holy cow!! I did NOT know that! I figured they’d have to eat a truck load to have the problems that Faith was having.

We cut out ALL chicken, chicken products of any kind and changed her kibble to salmon-based. Her skin cleared up and she stopped making those hot spots by licking, and we have had zero trouble with that ever since. What a relief!!! I hope that you find Rylee’s allergen and are able to eliminate it too!

Don’t sweat the weight gain, and don’t blame yourself. If a dog has to have any problem, I like knowing it’s that their owner loves them and shares with them and makes them as happy as they can. I know the weight gain isn’t good for Rylee, and I also know that you’re working on it. But don’t let guilt creep in. It’s okay. 🙂

~Maureen

cheslyn1
    Participant

Okay, you guys have me concerned, I think I will borrow the vet’s scale this weekend! Maci at her age is the one I want to really watch closely. 3-5 pounds is too much for her knees. Jigar never stays still so he is too skinny. Harley is back down since fixing his thyroid and stable.

i agree though – winter weather sucks. We have the dog park thankfully and training. Been trying to teach Harley to crawl and Jigar to sit pretty – core strengthening. I also do not buy ‘milkbone’ like treats. They are high in calories and the hubby was giving some everytime he went by the container. Only carrots, chicken feet and apples around here.

Now do not ask how the adults are doing for weight!! 🙂

Lynne
    Participant

I wish I hid my weight the way Rylee does cause she really doesn’t look that big…we take her in the last week of February for a follow up so I’m hoping some will come off just with the treats and food.

Christine – we might have to take Kiwi up on the referral!!!

We knew Rylee is allergic to chicken (since puppyhood) so she was on lamb and brown rice food and we’ve always avoided chicken. I guess time will tell what the trigger is…

Thanks for the help and advice – I will keep you posted on her progress.

Lynne
    Participant

Rylee is happy to report that she went to the vet yesterday and she’s down to 88 pounds!!!! The vet is very pleased with everything – her skin is clearing up and we have noticed that she’s been way less itchy. The vet wants us to continue doing what we are doing for another 6 weeks before slowly introducing things one at a time. At first I thought that weight loss was too quick but she wasn’t concerned about it.

Just thought I’d share the good news!!!

laurie
    Participant

Way to go Rylee keep up the good work.

Pat
    Participant

Way to go Rylee….and for some reason, my Vet also thinks quick weight loss is fine. Hopefully by swim suit season she will be slim and trim…unlike us humans.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Good job Rylee!! Sounds like the changes the doctor ordered are working.

cheslyn1
    Participant

Wonderful Rylee! So wonderful the weight is going in the right direction to create a super healthy you!

Tammy

Sue
    Participant

Wow that is a good amount of weight in a short period of time. Way to go Rylee…celebrate with a carrot 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active