Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

Toys

Home Forums General Toys

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Pat 5 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

3Goldens
    Participant

Bought this for the dogs yesterday. $27 + tax. Storm had a hole chewed in it after 5 minutes and 2 hours later it was in the garbage because Rookie & Storm had it ripped to pieces!

Any suggestions for toys that will last more than 2 hours??

• This topic was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by  3Goldens.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Meadow
    Participant

What a waste of money, eh? Your girls must be extreme chewers like Faith is! Nothing lasts with Faith. Haven can have fun with a toy, stuffie, ball, etc for hours, days, weeks… and 5 minutes in Faith’s jaws, and the toy is junk, the stuffie unstuffed and the ball chewed to BITS!

There are only a very few toys that last – and those tend to last because Faith doesn’t like them very much, hahaha.

Here is a toy that Haven LOVES, and it’s been totally durable and hearty in the house with daily play for MONTHS:

Attachments:

Meadow
    Participant

Took this pic a few moments ago, as Haven awaited her next game of fetch (3rd time this morning already, lol), so that you could see the exact size of the one I have – which, IMO, would be too small for a Golden to be trusted with it.

Attachments:

3Goldens
    Participant

Waste of money is right Maureen! I’m actually a bit annoyed with myself for buying it in the first place….I don’t usually spend that much on a dog toy. But I was in Petsmart for food, saw it and had a major brain melt lol

I will have a look at the toys Haven likes—she is beautiful by the way! Stuffed toys are out because Rookie rips them apart and eats all the pieces. I’ve been on poop watch more times than I care to remember with that dog, making sure everything came out the other end!

Spirit never destroys toys, she could have a basket full of stuffies, play with them and never rip them up….but thanks to the monster dog—Rookie—I don’t buy them anymore. Shiloh was the same way, never ripped things apart, I don’t know what it is about Rookie, but she is a big toy destroyer…the only thing she hasn’t managed to destroy are the smaller chuck-it balls.

Marianne
    Participant

I haven’t found an indestructible toy yet! Some last longer than others but eventually the squeaker is removed, the stuffing taken out or huge gaps in the rubber toys. Expensive/inexpensive, doesn’t matter all are vulnerable. Using some “twisted” logic, I bought one of those unstuffed toys but it had at least 10 squeakers in it and wow!!! it was a truly wondrous to watch the toy disintegrate as each squeaker was removed!!!! in about a minute and a half.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Sorry to hear about the Kick Fetch ball Nancy :(. We bought one off Amazon last summer for a good price and it’s one of Kiwi’s favorite outside toys.

Maureen Kiwi has the larger red Cuz with the horns and it used to be one of her favorite toys she would “talk” to but she rarely pulls it out of the toy basket anymore. It is durable though

Nancy how about a Jolly Ball? Very heavy duty. Another popular Kiwi outside toy bought on Amazon

goldengirl
    Participant

Yeah, my husband says we should hire Murphy out as a dog toy tester to the companies…she can destroy a stuffie in seconds. Even the toys that say “indestructible” are no match for her. She is such a sweet calm dog but get her near a stuffed toy and the killer instinct comes out. LOL! She is good in that she has never eaten one of the squeaky parts…she just spits it out and continues the destruction. Her teeth are nice and clean but I hate the clean up on the carpet from all the bits of gooey fabric. I also buy the dollar store toys for her since anything only lasts a few minutes. She does enjoy them though.

Lynne
    Participant

We’ve had good luck with kong products. Rylee has a few different varieties and can be a heavy chewer or rough on the toys when she puts them in her mouth and shakes her head from side to side. For Christmas she got a red kong it looks like a round tube (like empty paper towel holder), has a squeaker and is very durable.

I was going to recommend chuck it products also till I saw your picture…

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Another line of durable dog toys are these ones from West Paw. Kiwi has the tizzi and bumi and prefers the tizzi of the 2

https://www.westpawdesign.com/dogs/dog-toys/zogoflex-dog-toys

Odette
    Participant

Wilson has the Tizi toy and he loves it. Every morning he will bring it to me so I can put a cookie in it. Sometimes I don’t pay attention to him and watch carefully out of the corner of my eye to see what he does. He will first bark and then he will pick it up and drop it on the floor until I pay attention. I will then ask him to bring it to me and put it in my hand and with excitement he does so. I then will put a cookie in it and off he goes to try and get the cookie.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Wilson has it all figured out, smart boy! You know I’ve never put a treat in the underside of the Tizzi. Most of Kiwi’s treats are bite size so would just fall out but maybe I’ll have to find something that will fit and give it a try.

Pat
    Participant

Have the same problem here. Carmel really doesn’t like too much of the hard rubber products, have a box full of them. Got them a jolly ball two years ago and they really don’t care for it. Those Tizzi, look interesting. We have a few of the JW rubber toys but again don’t seem interested. The last few unstuffed stuffies, have lasted a bit even after the squeakers are “killed” Carmel hasn’t really been a destructive mood lately…except for one of my red mitts, she got a hold of a month ago. Last year I invested in the hard rubber chuck-it balls, which she likes, haven’t lost them and she hasn’t be able to shred like the tennis type balls. I was in Petsmart on tuesday looking at toys…lucky just walked out with $75 in treats, no toys.

Meadow
    Participant

Haven has the little red guy with the horns – it has a really durable squeaker that finally – with both dogs chewing on it – came out the other day – but the toy is STILL fun, because it bounces really well now!

I use it as a fetch toy with Haven – every day, several times a day – and Faith always steals it, chews it, etc. They come in different sizes, for different sized dogs. Haven’s is about the size of a golf ball, but there are ones the size of tennis balls – and even BIGGER – for larger breeds.

Other than that toy, the only other thing that lasted from Faith’s puppihood was another such toy shaped like a stick though… but it lasted because Faith doesn’t like the feel of rubber things in her mouth. *sigh*

I just either buy dollar store stuffies now, and watch them play for 10 minutes then throw it out, or when my daughters decide they are no longer interested in one of their older stuffed animals, they will donate it to the dogs – and again, it’s not a big deal or loss of money when they destroy it completely.

Most toys, I save for Haven when Keira takes Faith for a walk – because Haven doesn’t have the destruction power that Faith does. For Faith, destroying things is her super-power.

~Maureen

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active