Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

Training treats

Home Forums Training Training treats

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Lynne 6 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Nano
    Participant

Can anyone offer a healthy homemade recipe for training treats? Now that Connor has started agility, the training treat offerings are off the charts. This class requires tons of treats for each session which concerns me for obvious reasons! I need something small, healthy, and tidy.

Thanks!

Lynne
    Participant

We used Zuke’s treats for Rylee’s training – not sure how healthy they are but, we used them because they are soft and small so, they don’t have to stop to eat them.

As for agility – with Kira, who was older and therefore wiser – we had to up the ante for treats with her so, there I went to agility class with her and a pocket full of cheese cut up into small chunks or, her favorite was garlic sausage – yep a pocketful of garlic sausage in a dog agility class (I’m lucky I made it out alive really!!). I still laugh at the whippet that was in class with us – that dog would heal to me and sit at my side and stare up at me – I just remember the long nose and those eyes. Obviously sucking up for cheese and sausage no doubt!!!

Nano
    Participant

I tried cheese and chicken hot dog pieces b/c he loves them (also baked liver treats that my mom makes for him). The problem with those treats is that they got all mushy and disgusting in my pocket! Didn’t you find that, too? It was also hard to grab a handful quickly b/c they clumped together.

I agree the treats have to be soft but there must be something out there (even a commercial treat) that would work.

cheslyn1
    Participant

Try a container and only take out a few at a time. Eventually you want to work to the treat being off you anyways. Keep the pieces bigger in your pocket and break off smaller as you need it.

Other ideas – make the hot dog pieces harder by microwaving them. Harley works for his kibble 🙂 Maci gives me a definite dirty look LOL
    Deli meats – I ask for a 1/2 inch chunk and cut if up. Still greasy (why I never wear nice clothes training) but do not crumble. Most commercial treats are going to crumble. Boiled liver is good for not crumbling too bad but it stinks according to us humans

Cheerios, other cereals, fries, pizza and toast crust- Maci favorite. I use the string cheese stick things…they seem to hold up a bit better than other cheese. Again, breaking off pieces as I need them and as big as I want them.

When I really do not want to get crummy pockets I use toys. Trying to work with Maci to get her more about playing with me versus doing it for food so a tug toys works wonders now.

cheslyn1
    Participant

Oh need to change that. Maci will work for dog kibble that she does not get…so I always grab samples even if I know I will never buy it 🙂 And both dogs will work for it – like junk food to teenagers :beguiled:

Nano
    Participant

Thanks for the tips. I tried keeping the treats in a baggie but it’s too hard to access quickly. Microwaving the hotdog pieces is a great idea – I forgot about that. Cheerios are a good idea too, thanks! Another treat I used to use all the time but forgot about. I also use kibble samples as treats but haven’t been offered any in awhile. Still concerned about the calorie counts and not sold on the heavy treat reward technique either. Connor is probably picking up on my reluctance to the clicker/reward method.

Connor likes his stuffies but he only works for treats. 🙂

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Like Lynne we used Zuke’s for training with Kiwi. The mini ones are bite size (3 calories per treat) and we would even cut those in half yet so she wasn’t getting a huge quantity over the course of class. We also got at Dollarama a little treat bag that clips onto your pants for dispensing treats, worked quite well. Kiwi has a very sensitive tummy so lots of the other treat ideas mentioned would be readily accepted by Kiwi but not so much by her tummy.

Nano
    Participant

I’ve never heard of Zuke’s. Where do you get them?

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Nancy, you can get them at any pet store I’m sure, we buy ours at Pet Valu. They come in 3 flavors, chicken, salmon and peanut butter, bag sells for around $6. They also have a wild rabbit flavor but I can never find that one. Kiwi loves them all.

http://www.zukes.com/woof/mini-naturals.html

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active