Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

update on Charlie

Home Forums Archives update on Charlie

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Claudette Kinkade 9 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

cangold
    Keymaster

Hi all
    Thanks for the support yesterday. Charlie is on medication to inhibit his vomiting so he can keep the other meds down and his food. He’s also on antibiotics and anti-inflamation, not to mention a paste to coat his tummy and forta-flora. We’ve got quite a process going.
    He was a bit dehydrated and had a fever so he got a couple of shots. The vet is hoping its just a really bad reaction to something he injested (there is no sign of a blockage) However, he is concerned about his pancreas being the issue and so took blood to test for some things. Back when I first adopted him we did test for pancreatitis and the first time it came back with slightly elevated resulsts, a second test showed nothing.
    Poor thing is so lethargic. He slept beside the bed last night and didnt’ move for 6 hours which although odd for him hopefully the sleep will help him feel better.

thanks again for letting me vent yesterday. we’re all exhausted here but feeling a bit better now we’ve got a wee bit of sleep!

cangold
    Keymaster

Hello Bonnie,

I posted a bit late yesterday, poor Charlie, this does seem much more of a challenge than the usual loose poops episodes other doggies get.Charlie must be as exhausted as you are, he is so lucky to have you to look after him, I will keep hoping he is all better very soon.

Elizabeth.

cangold
    Keymaster

Hi Just got off the phone with my vet. There are some ‘oddities’ in his blood but we are not sure what that means yet. it does mean this isn’t a simple allergy reaction most likely. The vet is testing for possible heartworm, we will see. After that we are looking at a respirtory issue or possibly lukemia.

How bad is it that I’m actually hoping my dog has heartworm?

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

Bonnie, This came on so suddenly, I am sure he was okay when you left at the boarding facility or you wouldn’t have taken him there for the weekend. Have you asked them if by some chance he got into something while he was there. Let them know how concerned and worried you are and how sick Charlie is and are just asking for some help with the situation. Hopefully the “oddities” in his blood is just from everything he has been going through. You would think that if Charlie is haveing diarrhea and is throwing up it would be something with his stomach not a respiratory problem. He has to be so weak just because of what he has been going through. I pray the vet can help him real soon.
    I know how worried you are.
    Claudette and Jake

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

How long before the vet will have more info? I can imagine how worried you are. Please do keep us updated and in the meantime we’re sending positive thoughts out west to you.

cangold
    Keymaster

Hey Bonnie,

I had no idea you were having problems with Chjarlie. E mail me when you can okay? Poor you and poor Charlie. Britney had something several weeks ago too….She was so sick they thought she ingested something too…and also were worried about pancreatitis but they blood tested her for that and it was negative. She was vomiting and had diarrhea and was just pouring out liquuid until there was blood. I was terrified when I saw the blood come out. They placed her on IV and gave her some antibiotics and infections for nausea and stomach gas too (pecid A/C was prescribed and tylocine and pumpkin too. The pumpkin works GREAT by the way. I giucve Brieny half a tespoon twice a day in her kibble daily and waht a differnece in her poops now. Anyway…I feel for you as I went thru a similar experience not too far back.. I wonder what on earth she could have ingested? It was back in September,,,,Anyway I hope Charlie gets better soon. Take Care and e mail me.

cangold
    Keymaster

Hi Bonnie …. I seldom post these days, and often don’t read either, but for some reason looked in here this a.m. I know what waiting for test results is like as we went through that with our Berner, Louie, just over 2 months ago. You and Charlie will be in my thoughts. Take care.

Pat and Montana

3Goldens
    Participant

We’re keeping fingers and paws crossed here for you & Charlie. You’ll be in our thoughts—keep us posted…….

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

Bonnie, Can you give us any new information on Charlie? Is he doing better? We are all praying for you.
    Claudette and Jake

The topic ‘update on Charlie’ is closed to new replies.

@

Not recently active