Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

Vist to the Vet

Home Forums Health Vist to the Vet

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author

Claudette Kinkade
      Participant

I took Jake to the vet Saturday morning, he has been drinking an excessive amount of water lately. At first I just thought it was from it being so darn hot and humid but as it got cooler he still is drinking a lot of water. Of course, I am thinking it is diabetes. She checked his urine and drew blood and is calling me today (Monday). She did ask if I had changed his diet in anyway, like new treats, supplements, etc. I did change his Glucosamine tablets to Phycox (from Syn-flex) just because at his last visit we discussed seeing if he did better on them. He is a little slower getting up these days (senior citizen -9 years) his back legs are not as strong. I did think he was a little better on the Phycox. I also have been giving him a few Milkbone treats to entice him to get into the car. I have stopped all the Milkbone treats, next I will cut out the Phycox. I am hoping when she calls me it is not bad news.

Jake’s the golden that will not just jump into the car, has always been helped in, even when a young pup. We had a F150 Ford truck and my husband used to just put his paws up into the back seat area and hoist him in. Needless to say, he is much too big for me to do that. After 4 years he finally got a little better and now his back legs are sore and I know it is difficult for him. But, somehow we manage to get in and head up to the cottage.

Anyone have any other thoughts on what might me going on?

I don’t like the not knowing. I’ll let you know what Dr. Smith tells me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4608[/ATTACH]

Mom2Maddie
      Participant

Hopefully you’ll hear from the vet soon with some more info. Hugs to handsome Jake and you too, I know it’s no fun to worry. Will be watching for an update.

Sue
      Participant

Claudette try not to worry as I know it’s hard not to. I said before that Nelson also drinks alot of water. He just went to the vet Friday as I found another lump that we aspirated. Waiting for results is hard but have faith that everything will be fine with Jake. Keep us posted. Thinking of you both.

Cathy DW
      Participant

Any word from your vet Claudette? Paws crossed for good news.

Pat
      Participant

Hoping you get good news…thinking of you and Master Jake…..

laurie
      Participant

Hope everything is ok with big ole Jake. He looks so handsome in the picture you have posted. Pawsitive thoughts..

Lynne
      Participant

Claudette – we are thinking about you and sending positive thoughts your way! Could the thirst be from the change in meds?

If he was never a jumper that’s a good thing – less chance for injury that way!! As Rylee gets older I already know that we will be buying steps for the vehicle – she’s too much dog for me for haul around!

Please keep us posted and take care!

Claudette Kinkade
      Participant

My vet called this afternoon and said his blood work looked pretty good, but his white blood cell number was off a little. He could have an infection, he is on an antibiotic for 10 days. I am watching him so closely and I think he is drinking less water. I cut out all the Milkbone biscuits, but I don’t think it was that, but you never know. The Phycox supplement that he has been on just recently really smells awful but he loves it; that will be the next thing I take away. He had been on Syn-flex or Glyco-flex and did okay. I take him back in 10 days for a recheck of his urine, which she said they would take a clean sample directly from him. I tried to listen really good to everything she was telling me and hopefully by the time 10 days is up he will be doing better. Thanks for all your well wishes.

Lynn, Get those steps now and get her to use them now. I have a ramp that I put up into the back of the car and Jake will have no part of it. The back door on the car opens up on an angle and the ramp will not fit there. I looked at the steps but I know he would not use them. He puts his head under the car and refuses to move. If I am lucky he will put his paws up to reach the treat I have put on the floor and then I try to boost him in. You have to see it to believe what he does. The last time we were at the cottage and I stayed longer than family, I tried for 40 minutes to entice him in. He finally just laid down on the rocks next to the car and took a little rest. Thank goodness the man that cuts my grass happened to pass by and he helped me get him in. I can’t tell you how many people ask me “will Jake get into the car now”. He has a reputation, believe me.

Mom2Maddie
      Participant

Hopefully everything will be back to normal for Jake after the round of antibiotics is done. Keep us posted

Claudette I’m sorry that it’s still that much of a challenge to get him in the car. It sounds like you’ve tried everything and then some to try to get him to learn to do it but I guess he has other plans in mind:(

Sue
      Participant

Claudette that’s great news. You know some goldens just drink alot. I’ve had 2 that do that. I am constantly filling the water bowl. You might have to get yourself a little Honda Fit for Jake. That way he could just step into the back. I loved the Honda Fit I had. I just opened the door and the dogs walked in and it had so much room. I regret selling it most days and getting the Element as I have to lift the dogs in and out of it. Good thing their not to heavy.

Claudette Kinkade
      Participant

@Sue 65297 wrote:

Claudette that’s great news. You know some goldens just drink alot. I’ve had 2 that do that. I am constantly filling the water bowl. You might have to get yourself a little Honda Fit for Jake. That way he could just step into the back. I loved the Honda Fit I had. I just opened the door and the dogs walked in and it had so much room. I regret selling it most days and getting the Element as I have to lift the dogs in and out of it. Good thing their not to heavy.

Sue, The Honda Fit sounds pretty good even though I am a Ford girl. My husband worked for Ford Motor for 30 years and my pension comes from Ford, and I am a loyal Ford girl.

As far as the excessive water drinking, I know he never drank that much. I can hear him standing at the bowl just slurping and slurping to the point where I distract him so he will stop. I am even filling his bowl only half full. The vet did say if he wants water that I should not restrict it just see if I can get him away with a distraction, which I am doing. I am sure she will run more tests next week to rule out some other possibilities.

You know when you think something is wrong everything that is a little bit out the ordinary seems so big then. I just know something is going on with Jake, I just feel it. This morning he took his time getting to his food, very unusual. He did eat but left a few kibbles in the bottom of the dish, out of the ordinary. He usually looks at me for more. If I forget about the excessive water drinking and the lack of enthusiasm for his food this morning he is the same old Jake. Sue, thanks for the suggestions, it helps when I know you understand where I am coming from. And thanks to everyone else that has read my post and given me support. I’ll keep you posted.

cheslyn1
      Participant

Fingers crossed for Jake. I still watch Harley and question if something else is wrong as he drinks 2x more than Maci. Do you usually feed Milkbones? There could be something there that he kind of ‘reacts’ too. Both of mine will drink lots after eating items with pork – raw, freeze dried, what ever.

Oh and thanks for the tip—-Harley rarely jumps up into a vehicle too. Honestly I think it is to sneak in a kiss at mom or dad or give wet willys 🙂 Maci forget it…no one is lifting her.

cheslyn1
      Participant

Claudette, what is your weather like?? In Alberta we went winter, rain, to way too hot in 3 weeks…with humidity. Maci still has winter coat so I am not being surprised on how much she is drinking and restin.

Claudette Kinkade
      Participant

@cheslyn1 65304 wrote:

Claudette, what is your weather like?? In Alberta we went winter, rain, to way too hot in 3 weeks…with humidity. Maci still has winter coat so I am not being surprised on how much she is drinking and restin.

Ours has been a duplicate of yours but I have air conditioning and Jake is not out much in the heat. He definitely is drinking a lot more water though. Last year when he was panting so much (but not drinking a lot of water) the vet checked him for Cushings Disease and that came back negative.

Sue
      Participant

Claudette if you have the gut feeling that something is wrong with Jake then go back to your vet. You have to be persistent if you want answers and you sometimes have to demand that you want certain tests to be done. God know how persistent I’ve had to be over the last few years with all the on going’s with Boober. If I wasn’t I still be sitting at home today thinking that she had liver disease which he doesn’t becuase no Vet wanted to really find out what was wrong. I know you have total faith in your vet but they do have habits of pushing antibiotics before doing any testing until something is seriously wrong. Sometimes it just easier to get the simple tests done for piece of mind.

There are 3 main diseases that are associated with excessive water drinking in dogs that can easily be tested for.

1) Diabetes– a urine strip will show high levels of glucose in the urine if the dog has diabetes. This is also usually accompanied with weightloss.

2) Renal Failure – excess water lost thru the kidneys leads to increased water intake. Its diagnosis is carried out with the help of blood test and urinalysis. In case of kidney failure, the level of waste products like, urea and creatinine increase in the blood. Therefore, blood is tested to determine the level of these two waste materials in the bloodstream. To restore the functions of the kidneys, the affected dog is given intravenous fluid. Fluid therapy may succeed to restore the kidney functions for a couple of weeks to a few years. However, many times, it has been observed that the kidneys become able to continue their functions only when the treatment is going on. Once, the treatment is stopped, the kidneys also stop functioning.

3) Cushings – too much cortisol leads to excessive drinking. Not alot of vets really know that much about Cushings and diagnosing it. The most common signs of Cushing’s Disease are increased appetite, increased thirst and urination, hair loss, lethargy, and pendulous abdomen (due to increased liver size and muscle breakdown).
      Cushing’s disease is suspected in dogs with the classical clinical signs as well as an increased liver value noted on a routine chemistry blood panel. There are additional blood tests that must be performed to confirm diagnosis of Cushing’s Disease. The three tests used are the ACTH Stimulation Test, Low Dose Dexamethasone Suppression (LDDS) Test and the High Dose Dexamethasone Suppression (HDDS) Test. One of the first two tests mentioned are used to diagnose Cushing’s Disease and the last test may be used to differentiate whether Cushing’s Disease is caused by an abnormal adrenal or pituitary gland.

Hug that Jake for us.

Sue
      Participant

Claudette one other thing if Jakes white blood cell count is still elevated after the antibiotics you might want to get an ultrasound done on Jake.

Claudette Kinkade
      Participant

@Sue 65308 wrote:

Claudette one other thing if Jakes white blood cell count is still elevated after the antibiotics you might want to get an ultrasound done on Jake.

Thanks Sue, I will definitely do that.

Last year when Jake was panting so much he was checked for Cushings Disease, the tests you mentioned were performed at Michigan State University and came back normal. She did check his urine on Saturday when I was there and did take blood which was sent out. When she called me that is when she mentioned the white blood count. She does seem on top of things and she also mentions Dr. Dodds and how she uses her expertise also. I would definitely want to know the WHY he is drinking so much water. I know the Milkbones may be salty but it is not like he hasn’t had some before. Thanks again for all the info, it is much appreciated. I do know what a great Mom you are to Boober and Nelson.

*Dr. Smith breeds labs and she has a senior (9 years old like Jake) dog and we compare notes about them.*

Sue
      Participant

Claudette that sounds like you have a great vet and its nice to hear that she uses Dr. Dodds. I know for sure that my Vet has no clue who Dr. Dodd’s is. Sounds like Jake is in good hands.

laurie
      Participant

Keeping our paws crossed for Jake to have a good check up when he is done his meds.

Claudette Kinkade
      Participant

I took Jake back to the vet this afternoon because I was still worried about the excessive water drinking and that he hadn’t been eating like he normally does. My vet was off today so we saw Dr. Mike (Jake has seen him before). Jake was happy to see him as he sat on the floor examining him. He felt him all over, pulling/twisting/rubbing his front legs and Jake growled at him. (totally out of character for him) Dr. Mike said, he is trying to tell me something – I don’t like when you do that. I am here for the drinking water and not eating good and he comes up with this. I am thinking totally another problem. He did an ultra-sound of the abdomen and x-rays of his two front legs. NO MASSES, very good news. He does have arthritis in both front legs which is causing him pain. This morning he ate his food laying down which he has never done before – I put a little peanut butter on the kibbles to get him to eat. Jake not eating is a big RED FLAG. I have to take him back to be checked within 7-10 days. He is on antibiotics and anti inflammatory meds for now. Dr. Mike didn’t think he had a urinary infection but they will check his urine when I return, the one that they do – not in the drip tray. I will be keeping a close eye on him. Thanks for all your well wishes.

Mom2Maddie
      Participant

SO glad to hear they didn’t find anything on the ultrasound Claudette. Hope he’ll feel more like himself soon after the meds the vet put him on.

Kiwi and I send hugs for Jake. Keep us updated.

Pat
      Participant

Hopefully Jake will perk up soon on the meds. I know how worrisome it can be when they are not feeling well, and can’t tell you. And as they get older you worry more. Sending the Power of the Paws and positive thoughts your way. Keep us posted!

Shauna
      Participant

Sorry to hear what you are going through. It’s so hard knowing something’s wrong/off but not being able to get the answers definitively. We are keeping Jake and you in our thoughts and prays. Power of the paw coming from our house to yours. Take care.

cheslyn1
      Participant

Power of the paw from our house too! I hope the meds work—hate hearing handsome Jake is sore and not feeling good!

3Goldens
      Participant

Gosh Claudette, I’ve not checked in here in so long I’m just seeing this now. I know how worried you must be about Jake. Sending power of the paw your way and keeping fingers crossed everything is ok with handsome Jake!

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active