Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

Zeus and Marbles

Home Forums Our other pets Zeus and Marbles

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  I.Heart.My.Golden 6 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

scot girl
    Participant

In the past we always had to keep a barrier between Zeus and Marbles but lately it has changed, Zeus loves to lie on the floor next to the cage. No more barking at him just sniffing and sometimes they are even nose to nose. Zeus used to freeze on the spot and just stare but now his tail never stops wagging when he is close to the Rabbit. Changed days. Hooray.:dog:

Nano
    Participant

Wonderful pictures! Love Marbles – too cute!

Zeus looks a little too intent on that rabbit, though. Doesn’t he make Marbles nervous when he stares at him like that?

scot girl
    Participant

Its funny you ask that because before when Zeus used to come close and stare intently but no wagging tail, just frozen on the spot then the Rabbit was terrified and would hide as he could sense the danger. Recently as Zeus’s behaviour has changed and he is happier and more relaxed around Marbles the rabbit is more at ease than before so I think he senses the difference. I would still never let the rabbit out of the cage with Zeus in the room, never never ever on my watch. I used to have a Lab and a Lop Eared Rabbit at the same time and they got along very well. Whenever I walk Zeus and we see a Rabbit its very hard to keep a hold of him as he really wants to get after it, so I think if our rabbit was to be hopping around in front of Zeus the temptation would be too strong to resist.

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Very sweet pictures of Zeus and Marbles!! Maddie used to have a Chinchilla brother named Peanut. She loved him, but not his big long whiskers that would tickle her face. We did let them out together in the bedroom where Peanut’s cage was if both of us were there to supervise. He would jump on her and run around and under her.

I’m glad Zeus and Marbles both seem to be more at ease with one another.

Lynne
    Participant

That is so cute!!

cheslyn1
    Participant

LOL, first thing I thought of when I saw the photos was that my 2 would be staring intently too but not for the bunny but for his food and the lovely droppings that Maci will dig through the snow for 🙂

Marbles is adorable!

Claudette Kinkade
    Participant

Wonderful photos, don’t you just wonder what Zeus is actually thinking.

Nano
    Participant

When I was in Pet Valu the other day a woman was buying rabbit food. The clerk asked her if she had any other pets and she said she had two cats. I asked her if the bunny was scared of the cats or if the cats ever tried to get at the bunny. She laughed and said one of the cats likes to wash the bunny like it was her kitten!

I.Heart.My.Golden
    Participant

That is so cute! Loved the photos!!!!!
    It’s really amazing how animals know intent behind a look. Both of my cats are very dog friendly but once I watched my friends Siberian Husky. She told me that she “likes to play with the cats” and chase them, and I was okay with that, other dogs have done that in the past. Well….it was NOT just trying to play, she wanted to eat them without a doubt. She cornered my cats in my room, and they started to do the weirdest sounds towards her, they definitely knew she was NOT playing, and they just hated her! (rightly so). Even our little kennel kitty, Darryl, he’s almost a year now and he definitely can tell if a doggie is his friend…or if doggie wants to eat him! We were so glad he learned this, because he’s VERY affectionate to dogs and we thought it would get him in trouble eventually, but he’s a good judge of character so far and gets up nice and high when he’s not sure about a dog coming in. No matter the species, I really think animals do know “energies” of each other.

Nano
    Participant

@I.Heart.My.Golden 64101 wrote:

That is so cute! Loved the photos!!!!!
    It’s really amazing how animals know intent behind a look. Both of my cats are very dog friendly but once I watched my friends Siberian Husky. She told me that she “likes to play with the cats” and chase them, and I was okay with that, other dogs have done that in the past. Well….it was NOT just trying to play, she wanted to eat them without a doubt. She cornered my cats in my room, and they started to do the weirdest sounds towards her, they definitely knew she was NOT playing, and they just hated her! (rightly so). Even our little kennel kitty, Darryl, he’s almost a year now and he definitely can tell if a doggie is his friend…or if doggie wants to eat him! We were so glad he learned this, because he’s VERY affectionate to dogs and we thought it would get him in trouble eventually, but he’s a good judge of character so far and gets up nice and high when he’s not sure about a dog coming in. No matter the species, I really think animals do know “energies” of each other.

I agree! Animals have to know friend from foe. Their survival depends upon it. One reason I chose the Golden breed was because it has a low prey drive and an extremely soft mouth. Connor once found a baby bunny in the lilies. I didn’t know what it was until he put it down gently on the grass and barked at it. I think he wanted it to play with him. The poor little thing was terrified (and sopping wet!) but completely unharmed. I put Connor in the house and the baby bunny back in amongst the lilies. I didn’t let Connor out again until I checked back hours later and the bunny was gone. Whether he hopped off or his mom came and got him, I’m glad he was okay.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active