Skip to toolbar

CanadianGoldens.com

Zeus is Chubby

Home Forums Health Zeus is Chubby

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Pat 5 years ago.

• Author

scot girl
    Participant

We took Zeus to the Vet on Monday for his check up and shots, he is in great health, great coat, skin, teeth you mention it its good apart from his weight. Vet said he has to lose 10-15lbs. I have to feed him only once a day and cut out the treats. I was feeding him 1 1/2 cups in the morning and 1 1/2 cups in the evening, now he is having 2 cups. I was wondering how much you feed your Goldens and how often? HAPPY 4th JULY TO ALL AMERICANS.

Sue
    Participant

I feed both Nelson and Boober 3/4 of a cup in the am and 3/4 cup in the pm. They are both 58lbs and eat Orijen Regional Red. Neither are fat. If they go up an pound or 2 at the vet visit I cut them back.

3Goldens
    Participant

My crew gets 1 1/4 cup in the morning and again at dinner time. They also get an apple…seeds and core removed of course…split between them every day at lunch time. For treats I usually have cut up veggies in the fridge for them. They love green peppers, so instead of a biscuit I will give them each a small piece of green pepper or a bit of cucumber. They also love cauliflower, watermelon, bananas..I like to give them treats like that.
    They do get Milkbones once in a while as a very special treat…like after I torture them with a bath or a trip to the vet lol

Mom2Maddie
    Participant

Kiwi eats 1 1/4 cup in the morning and 1 cup at dinner time. We’ve recently switched over to Now grain free food. She was just at the vet yesterday and weighs 56 lbs.

Just curious if there is a reason the vet said only to feed him once a day vs. having 1 cup in the a.m. and one in the p.m. to total the 2 cups?

laurie
    Participant

Ripley gets 1 1/2 in the morning and at supper. He was getting 2 cups at each but needs to lose weight also so the vet said to cut back on his food and give him vegetables. I don’t know why he is so heavy because for treats he gets fruits or veggies and really not much of them for treats. We will see how cutting back works.

cheslyn1
    Participant

Maci is only eating 1 cup twice a day —- she is leaving it if she gets more. She is the only golden I know of that ‘regulates’ her eating LOL. She is 65 pounds and I like her there. She does get more human food treats from dad than the others.

Harley gets 1 1/2 twice a day in the summer with the extra walks and swimming. If he was in classes it would be cut back. I like him at 73 pounds – he is at 71 thanks to Jigar LOL

Jigar is at 53 pounds and I have no idea what ideal weight will be for him yet so judging on feel. He is full energy teenager, swimming and plays non-stop. He gets 1 1/2 cups twice a day.

Both boys would only get 1 cup if it was winter or they are in classes. One hour class once a week is a lot of calories in extra food even if I give them dried organs/meat.

Pat
    Participant

Carmel & Cheyanne have both been cut back….3/4 cup in am and 1 cup in pm. Check your label on the food….did not realize that the food the girls are on have 410 Calories per cup. Also when I had Cheyanne to the Vet two weeks ago…they said to also look for the % of Crude Fat..if you want them to lose weight as Cheyanne needs to suggested that the food be no more than 390 Calories a cup and about 9% Crude Fat..Theirs has 15% so I will be looking for a new food this week. Lots of veggies and pumpkin. Also they told me to limit the amount of Sardines I give them…as high in fat.
    Good Luck with the weight loss….Carmel and Cheyanne feel for you Zeus!

Sue
    Participant

How much does Zeus weigh? Some dog foods pack a lot of calories and if the dog isn’t exercising a lot it’s the same as people. Calories in vs Calories out. Just walking isn’t going to burn that many calories. Sure if your putting in miles and miles a day at a fast pace but just leisurely walking isn’t going to burn that much. It takes a lot to burn off calories. Boiled egg whites are also good and I give those as treats as well as some veggies. Even some of those veggies have calories in them.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by  Sue.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active